Driftwood for my convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do I really need to buy expensive drift wood that I'm not even sure what I'm getting?

I have a few ponds, lakes and streams in the area. Can't I just go for a nice walk and see if there's anything around? I'll wash it. Sterilize it etc... Seems like it would be a lot cheaper and I can pick put just what I like!

Your thoughts?

I don't see any problem with adding wood from a pond or lake as long as its well soaked and cleaned.If there are fish in the lake/pond where you get the wood from it should be safe enough.
I'm no expert though and this is just my opinion.

No you don't. You can if you want, but it's not a necessity for convicts.

They are quite happy with plants (fake are fine) and terra cotta flower pots. They don't need a fancy set up, that's for us humans. Now granted, I do prefer DW, live plants etc for my tanks, and when I bred convicts thats how I had them set up, but always with the terra cotta plant pots. Easiest and cheapest caves ever.

I no longer keep cons (thought I am thinking about getting back into them) I now have firemouths, which are darn near the same as a con except for body shape/color. Their tank has DW (which came with the tank) live plants (trimming from my other tanks) and terra cotta pots.

its not necessary but looks natural and is pretty! i got very basic pieces of DW (in truth one, but i wanted loads lol) from a lfs and soaked/ rinsed it for a week for a pleco, and its now in use as a shelter for a RZ juvie. the other has gone missing so i think it finally got eaten.
cons are best with caves and terracotta pots, but DW also if in the right shape can be a good nest x

Back
Top Bottom