Dwarf African cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClearVision94

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it possible to house dwarf African cichlids in a 20 gallon tank. I know they only get to a maximum of just 4 inches and my tank is 24 inches long and 14 inches high. Could they be happy in there? Do I only add like 4-5 or more/less? I know they could survive in it but I want them to be happy with that size tank. I welcome all opinions because I've never kept cichlids before. I figured this would be the best place to start...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Which dwarf Africans are you considering? The only Africans really suitable for a 20 would be Lamprologus multifasciatus shelldwellers. One or two males and several females, sand substrate, and several dozen escargot shells would be fine.

That looks like melanochromis auratus. It's known to be aggressive.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes I'm aware of that. I just wanted to know if it's possible to keep em in a 20 gallon tank

Would say no. Pelvicachromis pulcher could work but are aggressive during breeding. Shell dwelling cichlids would be a better option.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You could keep a single auratus in a 20, anything else would be killed. They're one of the most aggressive mbuna species, and claim a relatively large territory, actually much larger than a 20.
There aren't any Malawi cichlids suitable for a 20, just the Tanganykian shelldwellers. There are a few species that may work as a pair (assuming you can get a pair w/out them killing each other in that size tank), but the multi's would be the best bet in the long run. They're colonial fish, while the pairing types are more likely to eat their own fry.

Can I add a lot at the same time so they don't establish territories, maybe like 5-6?

I have a friend with a 36 gallon tank with electric blue tetras, tiger barbs and dwarf African cichlids, and they're not bothering each other. An auratus is one of the cichlids they have in the tank. That's why I'm trying to be explicit when it comes to all the possibilities to house them in a 20 gallon

Auratus get 6" and are not a dwarf species. There aren't many dwarf species from Malawi, and I don't know of any common species that can be kept on a 20 gallon.

Just cause someone else did it, doesn't mean it should be done ;) not trying to be mean, just being honest

Well if it's possible then I want to do it. They did it in a way where the fish wouldn't harm each other, and I was gonna do the same thing.

My friends added the aggressive fish last, and it worked

They did it in a way where the auratus are not sexually mature. Once they mature, the aggression will set in and fish will be killed. There's not a way to do it long term where the fish will be happy

They are mature. Fully grown and they aren't killing any other fish

I guess 20 gallons is to small. Thanks for the help guys

Never owned them but tiger barbs are awesome looking imo and they school, that's what I would do with a 20g long, you could maybe do 6 or 7 with maybe a small algae eater. I want to do a 55g barb tank, torn between that or doing a saltwater tank.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Never owned them but tiger barbs are awesome looking imo and they school, that's what I would do with a 20g long, you could maybe do 6 or 7 with maybe a small algae eater. I want to do a 55g barb tank, torn between that or doing a saltwater tank.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a regular/tall 20 gallon. I was thinking five with some rummy nose tetras or cardinal tetras. I'll add the barbs last so they won't become aggressive to the other fish. That's what my friend did with his African cichlids. Tetras and African cichlids can become peaceful with each other if done right. Barbs can be aggressive so they're going in last.

And yes tiger barbs are a very beautiful fish :)

Back
Top Bottom