Dwarf cichlid help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tsaye

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I decided to have dwarf cichlids in my 55 gal. I was going to have African cichlids but I like community tanks. I like some from south American and west African groups. Can they be mixed? Also would like some suggestions for tankmates. I read they like dither fish in the tank to make them feel secure. Any brightly colored unique fish I could have with them? Also what kind f bottom dweller could I have? I seen upside down catfish at the LFS that I really liked, would they be compatable?

I personally prefer south American dwarves. But if you have a 55, they aren't going to be a real eye popper. Try looking into Keyhole cichlids. They aren't technically a dwarf, but range from 4-6 inches and are extremely peaceful,in fact, they can be easily bullied. If you really like Africans, I'd say look into a shell dweller tank, although they are most definitely NOT community safe, they are a blast in themselves and you could do a large colony, along with a pair of julidochromis. Lamprologus multifasciatus are awesome to watch and readily available shell dwellers. You could do 25-30 of them in the tank, as these are thought to be the worlds smallest cichlid species. As for south Americans, dicrossus are my favorite of the SA dwarves. Apistogramma are fun too, as well as laetacara and mikrogeophagus (rams). The west Africans are the nannacara and Kribensis.

Did you already get the Dwarf Cichlid? If so, what kind is it? That makes it easier to tell you some dither fish and other tank mates. I'm no expert on African Cichlids but I've bee told to keep them separate.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I wrote them down so I can look them all up. I don't know much about dwarfs yet. I haven't gotten any fish yet, it will be a couple more weeks before my tank is cycled. I have seen pics of the rams and I love those! I have a 30 gal with cherry barbs, neon tetras, zebra danios, yoyo loaches and 2 dwarf gouramis, so I want to do something different with this one. I was going to have a African Cichlid tank but I really like community tanks so I think I will have dwarfs

Personally, if you want something a little different yet still community, I say go Apistogrammas. Such a pretty species no matter what subspecies you go with. My favorite being Agasizzii. Them with some Rummynose Tetras can put some real color into a planted tank.

I love the apostogrammas! I was trying to find a bigger fish as a centerpiece fish and seen discus are good tank mates, but it's difficult to keep the water parameters the way they need it. Anyone have experience with them?

A Sajica would be good, but you would have to make sure you didn't add other really small fish, like Neons, I have had Lemon Tetra with them
before with no problems.

I personally prefer south American dwarves. But if you have a 55, they aren't going to be a real eye popper. Try looking into Keyhole cichlids. They aren't technically a dwarf, but range from 4-6 inches and are extremely peaceful,in fact, they can be easily bullied. If you really like Africans, I'd say look into a shell dweller tank, although they are most definitely NOT community safe, they are a blast in themselves and you could do a large colony, along with a pair of julidochromis. Lamprologus multifasciatus are awesome to watch and readily available shell dwellers. You could do 25-30 of them in the tank, as these are thought to be the worlds smallest cichlid species. As for south Americans, dicrossus are my favorite of the SA dwarves. Apistogramma are fun too, as well as laetacara and mikrogeophagus (rams). The west Africans are the nannacara and Kribensis.

Great suggestions above, but just for clarification, the genus Nannacara does come from South America and not Africa.

Personally, if you want something a little different yet still community, I say go Apistogrammas. Such a pretty species no matter what subspecies you go with. My favorite being Agasizzii. Them with some Rummynose Tetras can put some real color into a planted tank.

Another great suggestion. Just to clarify, agassizii, cacatuoides, panduro, etc. are distinct species. Occasionally you will see some Apistos with known collection points, or even some unidentified species.

I love the apostogrammas! I was trying to find a bigger fish as a centerpiece fish and seen discus are good tank mates, but it's difficult to keep the water parameters the way they need it. Anyone have experience with them?

If you are looking for a good starter apisto, I would suggest cacatuoides or borelli. They're actually pretty easy to keep and will tolerate a fairly wide range of water parameters.

severum mama said:
Great suggestions above, but just for clarification, the genus Nannacara does come from South America and not Africa.

my apologies, I was thinking they were African or some reason.

Back
Top Bottom