Dwarf cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angels are like that too IME. A lot of the smaller ones tend to be really sensitive and it is not umcommon to read threads on here where small angels dropped dead for no apparent reason.

How territorial do discus get? If they are similar to angels, then the OP would want to be a little carful. Too many breeding pairs in any tank can cause issues. Unless you don't want the discus to pair up, but it can be hard to tell them not too unless you just get 1.

If I get one pair of angels how many pairs of discus should I get? I want everyone to to have more than enough room.

Discus can hold their own but IME they aren't as tough/aggressive as the angels. If I have a mixed tank of angels & discus growing out to pair off I've always pulled the angels pairs first to give the discus breathing room. Most of my angels are marbles and always seems the darker/blacker the fish the naughtier they are LOL

absolutangel04 is totally right on the angels another fish if you can find them from a local breeder they will be hardier.

These tips will totally help you and ease alot of stress on you stocking the tank. IME when starting angels and discus as a group, I try to make sure the discus are twice the body size of the angels gives the discus the upper hand as they're growing up, yes they both grow fast compared to some of the other SA's but the discus being bigger they'll get the extra they need as youngsters at feeding time.

The tank is 200g, right? You could perhaps do 2 pairs of angels, but one pair might be safer.
Like I said, if you get angels paired up, plus discus paired up and pairs of 4 types of dwarf cichlid, you will almost certainly have problems unless everybody has enough space.
Well, I should actually ask you what the dimensions of the tank are.

I haven't gotten the tank yet but I do know its going to be at least 200gal. I need to know the majority of what's going to be in it so I can get it to where everyone gets what they need. If I can build it around the main fish I can decide on the secondary fish later.

Back
Top Bottom