Dwarf cichlids for small tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cove90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I have a fluval edge 12gallon (46 litres) tank.

It is currently going through it's fish less cycling process and in the mean time I am researching the sort of live stock feasible for this tank.

I really love dwarf cichlids. I know they would be more work than something like a dwar gourami but I think they would be worth it. Obviously German blue rams would be A: way too cramped (unless I got a single fish on it's lonesome..it which case it probably wouldn't be too happy) and B: difficult for beginners. There is Bolivian rams but same issue with size.

What are everyones thoughts on perhaps a breeding pair of smaller dwarf cichlids such as apistogramma borelli or maybe badis badis? I hear they don't mind small tanks (especially in pairs) and are far more docile than most other cichlids.

Or any other small dwarf cichlid species that could really be the "centre piece" of my tank (with only a small shoal of something like tetras accompanying it).

Thanks guys!

Also I know badis/Dario aren't cichlids but from my understanding they are similar in nature and suitability to borelli..

Other suggestions: cockatoo or golden dwarves? I'm readin various things about them and would love some expert opinion

Not sure what you ph / water is but you could consider Neo Multifaciatus(?) or one of the other small shell dwellers as an alternate choice.

i dont think apistos would suit your tank since they are best kept in groups and not pairs, from what i have read, you would need 1 m to 3 f. you may be able to get away with it with good filtration and a really good water change schedule, but its up to you. they like densely planted tanks with at least one open space

i have heard of people keeping groups of badis badis in 10 gallons but again i think that would need heavy filtration and a lot of water changes, they get up to a maximum size of 3 inches, although that is rare.

Yeah I have heard that apistos do well in a harem. I wouldn't mind the 1m to 3f ratio. Obviously it would put a strain on such a small amount of space but I would be willing to do it, and wouldn't mind daily water changes.

I just feel like this would be a more enjoyable and more involved tank than having a single dwarf gourami or a betta or something that's been done over and over....

Anyone with personal experience of apisto borelli or badis badis?

Eh. Our apistos are kept in 20 gallon tanks and we have NEVER had success keeping them in groups. The females are more aggressive than the males when breeding and will relentlessly pursue the non-breeding females. This would work in a larger tank, I'm sure, but there is no way I would attempt anything more than a pair in a 12 gallon, and even a pair is pushing it for the long term IMO. We have had a trio of Borelli in which the male was pushing 4 inches and quite bulky. It's the exception to the rule but occasionally it happens. I'm still looking for the pic on my hard drive, it's quite shocking. lol

This is surprising everywhere that I have looked has said that apistos are better in groups, I researched it quite a bit when I was looking for something to put in my 10 gallon. I ended up with a flame gourami and a group of neons in the end :p I couldn't find any dwarf cichlid that I would be comfortable putting in a 10 gallon.

Like I said, it would probably be fine in a larger tank, say 40 gallons or so.

In a 20 gallon or less though? My experience with several groups of several species says no way.

Thanks for the reply severum mama,

Do you think a pair of borelli's would be ok?

What would make good tank mates and what sort of water parameters and maintenance will they need (in your experience)?

I have kept Apistos in both pairs and harems depending on space and or numbers available and they do fine either way, but you must keep in mind that there are quite a few species that pair bond( i.e.the entire nijsseni complex) and can only be kept in pairs.

Cove, Borelli are probably the most docile species available, and you could easily keep a pair in the edge with no problem. As far as your water parameters go, borelli are one of the clear/whitewater (which has a higher ph and tds) species so regular tapwater suits them just fine. If you want tetras in that tank you will need to look at a species like Ember Tetras or even one of the Dwarf Rasboras.

Last edited:
Thanks Gillie!

Good to know that they wouldn't mind the space I've got..I'd make sure I put in a couple of extra little caves and throw in some live plants for them to enjoy.

Any particular reason for the ember tetras or dwarf rasboras as opposed to other tetras?? How about something like a zebra/celestial pearl danio shoal...I also heard killies are good too?

Oh and the reason I ask about the tank mates is because today at my LFS, the owner actually scoffed at me and rolled her eyes when I asked her what she'd recommend as tankmates for apistos (in particular borelli)...she said that NO cichlid mating pair can ever be kept with anything but other cichlids.. Which I know is complete rubbish because I've had many friends mate kribensies, rams, severams and all types of cichlids in community tanks....

What about apistos and cleaning crew? Is there anything compatible? Shrimps, snails, Pygmy corys or plecos?

Oh and one more thing..I've heard apistos are VERY messy...and like to spit sand everywhere..I have white sand in my tank however besides a few structures that act as caves and some fake plants..I don't see how much mess they could possibly make by spitting sand?

Oh and the reason I ask about the tank mates is because today at my LFS, the owner actually scoffed at me and rolled her eyes when I asked her what she'd recommend as tankmates for apistos (in particular borelli)...she said that NO cichlid mating pair can ever be kept with anything but other cichlids.. Which I know is complete rubbish because I've had many friends mate kribensies, rams, severams and all types of cichlids in community tanks....

What about apistos and cleaning crew? Is there anything compatible? Shrimps, snails, Pygmy corys or plecos?

Oh and one more thing..I've heard apistos are VERY messy...and like to spit sand everywhere..I have white sand in my tank however besides a few structures that act as caves and some fake plants..I don't see how much mess they could possibly make by spitting sand?

IMO that tank really isn't suitable for dwarf cichlids, while it has a great footprint there's no way to beef up the filtration. The only thing I'd keep in that tank would be shrimp and small tetra/ rasboras.

I'm not familiar enough with the edge and it's filtration to say otherwise, however if you are able to substitute media then it should be sufficient and rely on weekly water changes to handle the rest.

Hi guys just thought I'd give a quick update -

I got a trio (1 x m 2 x F) of Egyptian mouthbrooders. They are hardy little cichlids and their mating routine is fascinating...one of the females has already laid eggs!

In terms of the tank itself, I removed the fake plants and added a row of live plants, it still looks great with the bamboo peaking through and provides a safer environment for the mouthbrooders. I also removed the lions and added a couple small caves (hollow rocks).

I am still doing daily water checks...just to be on the safe side..amm and nitrite 0 after a week with the fish in the tank.
The fish appear to be thriving!

You can deff keep tankmates with apistos. I scoff at your lfs for telling you otherwise. Most tetras will do just make sure to match tetras with apistos that enjoy same water params and temp. Also don't buy anyone that can bully your apistos or steal their caves such as pleco's. I could go on and on with compatible tankmates a little research goes a long way plus not to mention apistos live amongst other fish in their natural habitat. Happy dwarf hunting!

Hi guys just thought I'd give a quick update -

I got a trio (1 x m 2 x F) of Egyptian mouthbrooders. They are hardy little cichlids and their mating routine is fascinating...one of the females has already laid eggs!

In terms of the tank itself, I removed the fake plants and added a row of live plants, it still looks great with the bamboo peaking through and provides a safer environment for the mouthbrooders. I also removed the lions and added a couple small caves (hollow rocks).

I am still doing daily water checks...just to be on the safe side..amm and nitrite 0 after a week with the fish in the tank.
The fish appear to be thriving!
Cool are they the multicolor or nicholsi? I hope you're not keeping them in the edge either species will reach 4'' and the males can be really aggressive toward non breeding females so they need a lot of space and places to hide.

My friend and I have recently just seriously gotten into the whole aquarium hobby within the past 4 months or so. He first bought a fluval 5 gallon I think? He took it back the next day and got a 20 gallon tank for not much more. The fluval tanks are BEAUTIFUL tanks but we came to realize pretty quickly that it is a lot easier and a lot more satisfying sometimes just to get a basic glass rectangle (or whatever shape) tank for less or about the same price, without all the limitations of what you can put in it. Just a little tid-bit of info from experience. I have a Bolivian ram in my 20g and I am looking into getting another or possible a German blue (however they seem to be a bit harder to keep alive based on reviews). Both are beautiful fish.

Back
Top Bottom