Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

dwarf cichlids with community fish?

hey everyone!!! i have a 29 gallon planted tank and i have quite an array of tetras, shrimp and other misc. fish. i was just wondering if i could get a pair of dwarf cichlids to live in there almost harmoniously with my fish now. if so, what do you guys think would be my best choice?

Old 07-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

there fine with most fish,but may eat the shrimp depending on the species. what kinds of fish and shrimp do you have?

Old 07-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #3

i have a wood shrimp, a couple of amano shrimp and a whisker shrimp (i am not really sure of its real name because i have not been able to find another one like him). i have an angle fish, zebra danios, glass cats,a variety of tetras and a clown pelco that might find a new home.
thanks
Old 07-28-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon H View Post
i have a wood shrimp, a couple of amano shrimp and a whisker shrimp (i am not really sure of its real name because i have not been able to find another one like him). i have an angle fish, zebra danios, glass cats,a variety of tetras and a clown pelco that might find a new home.
thanks
i think whisker shrimp are a kind of fw prawn that gets mean. i think the cichlids would work,but im by no means an expert
Old 07-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #5

what kind of dwarf cichlid do you think i have been looking into Bolivian rams, but i am not really sure of what else is out there..
Old 07-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon H View Post
what kind of dwarf cichlid do you think i have been looking into Bolivian rams, but i am not really sure of what else is out there..
there are rams(blivian,german blue,gold,german gold),apistos(cockatoo,c. double red,c. triple red,some others),kribensis(dont know of variations),keyholes(again,not sure on variations),and probably others
Old 07-28-2011, 11:29 PM   #7

thank you so much i will look in to those
Old 07-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #8
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Devon, I keep bolivan rams in a community with angels and assorted platys and corys and they do fine. I have heard good things about keyholes and apistos, but I don't have any first hand knowledge. I can recommend the rams, but you wouldn't want to get more than 1 or 2 since your tank is getting a little full. But, the nice thing about rams is that they tend to stay toward the bottom of the tank, so they don't have disputes with the higher dwelling fish like angels (IME).
Old 07-29-2011, 02:12 AM   #9

I tried to keep blue rams once, sadly failed, they are hard for me to find cause there's only one store I know of aroun me that even buys them and that's not all the time so I usually miss out,

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, community, dwarf, dwarf cichlid, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com