dwarf cichlids with community fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devon H

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey everyone!!! i have a 29 gallon planted tank and i have quite an array of tetras, shrimp and other misc. fish. i was just wondering if i could get a pair of dwarf cichlids to live in there almost harmoniously with my fish now. if so, what do you guys think would be my best choice? :D

there fine with most fish,but may eat the shrimp depending on the species. what kinds of fish and shrimp do you have?

i have a wood shrimp, a couple of amano shrimp and a whisker shrimp (i am not really sure of its real name because i have not been able to find another one like him). i have an angle fish, zebra danios, glass cats,a variety of tetras and a clown pelco that might find a new home.
thanks

i have a wood shrimp, a couple of amano shrimp and a whisker shrimp (i am not really sure of its real name because i have not been able to find another one like him). i have an angle fish, zebra danios, glass cats,a variety of tetras and a clown pelco that might find a new home.
thanks
i think whisker shrimp are a kind of fw prawn that gets mean. i think the cichlids would work,but im by no means an expert

what kind of dwarf cichlid do you think i have been looking into Bolivian rams, but i am not really sure of what else is out there..

what kind of dwarf cichlid do you think i have been looking into Bolivian rams, but i am not really sure of what else is out there..
there are rams(blivian,german blue,gold,german gold),apistos(cockatoo,c. double red,c. triple red,some others),kribensis(dont know of variations),keyholes(again,not sure on variations),and probably others

Devon, I keep bolivan rams in a community with angels and assorted platys and corys and they do fine. I have heard good things about keyholes and apistos, but I don't have any first hand knowledge. I can recommend the rams, but you wouldn't want to get more than 1 or 2 since your tank is getting a little full. But, the nice thing about rams is that they tend to stay toward the bottom of the tank, so they don't have disputes with the higher dwelling fish like angels (IME).

I tried to keep blue rams once, sadly failed, they are hard for me to find cause there's only one store I know of aroun me that even buys them and that's not all the time so I usually miss out,

Back
Top Bottom