Dwarf Lampologus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfinns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I would like to have you guys comment any info about these little fish. I have a ten gallon and am wondering how many I can have in it (I think only one), what to feed it, what to have in the tank, any tank mates, etc. any help is appreciated as I have researched these fish but there is always more to learn:)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What are the differences between the species

Occelatus-they come in gold, and I think orange, max out at about 3 1/2 inches. I would recommend I fish per 5 gallons as they are pretty aggressive. I would recommend a species only tank

Multis- they breed like rabbits, the females max out at 1 1/2 inches males max out at 3 - 3 1/2 inches, species only tank

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Which species is the smallest/least aggressive?

I think this is what I was meaning...Neolamprologus brevis (?) I'm not sure. The females get to 1 1/2 inches and the males get to 2 inches

Brevis-like multis, they breed like crazy. I would say 2-3 shells per fish.

Species only tank

Could I have only one of those in a 10 gallon or do they need Another

You could do a pair or two of multis
You could do a pair of occelatus
And a pair or two of brevis

You could do a pair or two of multis
You could do a pair of occelatus
And a pair or two of brevis

Have you ever kept shellies at all?

Multies are the smallest species of cichlid on earth (at least known) and max out at 2". In a 10 gallon, 5 adults can be kept, although 4 typically is a better number with a ratio of at least 1 female per male, or a harem (like 1 male, 2 females). A 20 long is much better suited for any shellie species.

Ocellatus max out at 2.5 inches, maybe 3... Typically more towards the prior. They are not typically gold, as that is a color morph known as neolamprologus ocellatus "gold". I personally own neolamprologus ocellatus gold "purple" and look nothing like gold occies.

Also, brevis tend to be similar size as occies.

2-3 shells per adult is on the low side. 4-5 per adult is a much better number, if not more, as adults lay eggs in one shell, and as the babies grow, move into neighboring shells. My female's keep nests of 5 shells typically.

With that being said OP, you have said you researched, my advice, go research A LOT more, then bring the refined questions to us.

Have you ever kept shellies at all?

Multies are the smallest species of cichlid on earth (at least known) and max out at 2". In a 10 gallon, 5 adults can be kept, although 4 typically is a better number with a ratio of at least 1 female per male, or a harem (like 1 male, 2 females). A 20 long is much better suited for any shellie species.

Ocellatus max out at 2.5 inches, maybe 3... Typically more towards the prior. They are not typically gold, as that is a color morph known as neolamprologus ocellatus "gold". I personally own neolamprologus ocellatus gold "purple" and look nothing like gold occies.

Also, brevis tend to be similar size as occies.

2-3 shells per adult is on the low side. 4-5 per adult is a much better number, if not more, as adults lay eggs in one shell, and as the babies grow, move into neighboring shells. My female's keep nests of 5 shells typically.

With that being said OP, you have said you researched, my advice, go research A LOT more, then bring the refined questions to us.

Sorry bout that bad advice, gecko is the king of Shellie's, so if you have anymore questions then he is your best bet

I'm not the king by any means, I keep 2 species currently, with plans to expand to more. I was honestly asking, as these fish are much easier to explain from experience rather than internet info.

Tankmates are not impossible. I keep 8 multis, 2 spathodus erythrodon, 5 lophiobagrus cyclurus, and a single syno petricola in a 20 long (hope to upgrade soon though), but it took a LOT of holey rock and redecorating to get them to coexist somewhat peacefully

Lol great info freak...you are completely correct....and to pull off what he did takes lot experience. ....personal I only keep species only tanks for shellies and a lot of my fish

Back
Top Bottom