Dwarf mbuna suggestions for my 63.5 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfriends3

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm considering switching my community tank over to dwarf mbuna. It's filtered by two eheim canister filters 2034 pro 200 spec.

The tank is 240 litre, 63.5 US Gallons.

I'm thinking 20 dwarf mbuna in total.
1m 4f of each of the following what do you think ?

Cynotilapia sp. Afra lions cove
Iodotropheus sprengerae
Labidochromis sp. Perlmutt Higga reef.
Pseudotropheus saulosi.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What are the dimensions of your tank. I'm going to be honest and tell you I have never had long term success with P. saulosi in any tank that is 3' or less, nor have I ever spoken to anyone on any forum who has. Despite their classification as a dwarf cichlid, they are not IMO/E suitable for a small aquarium. Lots claim short term success with them, but no one I've ever talked to has had long term success.

Dimensions are length 120cm
Width 45cm and height 45cm. What dwarf would you recommend instead of the Saulosi ? I could get pseudotropheus elongatus chailosi from the same breeder but I'm worried with them and the afra lions cove together so I could switch to another afra he has cobue and also red top available.

I have successfully done the P. elongatus in a 3' tank before and they are a great fish, sometimes very highly aggressive however, so lots of rockwork. I don't think you should have much of an issue between them and the Cynotilapia, as the color patterns and body shape are fairly different, but if you are uncomfortable with the combo switching to a different variety wouldn't hurt. I've personally never kept the Cynotilapia sp. Afra lions cove or the Iodotropheus sprengerae, so hopefully someone who has can give you a better idea on those.

Mines a four foot tank so are Saulosi out of the question. Afra lions cove and elongatus chailosi look very similar to me in colour. I'd like a blue and black in the tank so maybe if saulosi is out I should go with afra cobue or red top. I think he does have one more elongatus neon spot but I don't think they will be suitable.

Peso polit is a nice mbuna that stays small or orange cap numbi

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I love saulosi but haven't had success either in 4 foot tanks. Right now of the 30 fish I've stocked only ones to die have been saulosi. I had rustys and their more aggrsssive IME than they're said to be but would be fine. I have Polit also. Mean lil guys but will work. Why not yellow labs? Yellow always adds great look to tank. Also look at labidochromis chisumulae. Awesome fish none of my faves and they're only aggressive w each other. Much like rustys pseudotropheus flavus are nice also. Here's my male a nice black and yellow. Perlmutt are a nice choice. I also Like hongi and cyno hara white top but they get a tad bigger. The females of those two look nice. Here's my hongi maturing male as well. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392953626.767414.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392953644.209183.jpg

Also maingano would add NICE color but get about 4-5 inches. There blue and horizontal striping is a nice contrast with other fish. Visitors who see my tank ALWAYS point them out as awesome.

Membe Deep are also great and is probably my next choice in mbuna. Females are yellow and the male is blue/white with a black head and body. They REALLY pop if you have a black background & algae on your rocks. Also take a look at White Top Haras.

Wow lots of replies thanks I'll go through each one and let you know my next move.

The Hongi, Flavus and Hara white top all get a bit too big for what I'm looking for max 4 inches. The other suggestions are great I'll do some more research on them.

The ones I posted are dwarf

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1393010082927.jpg
    1393010082927.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 78
Yeah thanks snowman two good suggestions I like them both. It's hard to narrow it down to four or five species.

Back
Top Bottom