Dwarves for a Discus tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which dwarf Cichlid to Choose (please explain your vote below)

• German Blue Ram

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Apistogramma macmasteri

• Apistogramma agassizii

• Other

• Throw out the whole Discus idea and go with Eartheaters!

• Total voters

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok i have a 75 gallon tanks fish-less cycling right now... it is going to be a Discus tank, w/ Cory cats, Small tetra and some kind of dwarf cichlid...

problem is i have too many dwarf cichlids to chose from as i know a local breeder who sells them cheap... :?

the tank will be low-light and moderately planted

I would go with the Rams , my personal experience with Apistos and Discus ended up in the eventual death of a few discus due to aggression towards them, on the other hand I did not try Cacs or Borelli they could also work.

I've not had that experience with apistos and discus. My steindachneri don't pay any attention to the discus, even when they spawned.

Me I would not put any dwarf cichlids in with the discus. Some bottom feeders and cardinal tetras would be pretty. My reasoning is that the I prefer discus to be the main fish of the tank and not have any others in the tank. My personal opinion. LOL you asked.

I chose the gbr's because every setup I see with them together is beutifull, they just seem to "balance" eachother, along with neon/cardinal tetras and panda corries!

Unlike most other species JDogg, discus should be housed seperately until they reach 4". As juveniles they are extremely susceptible to many pathogens which other species easily slough off. After they reach maturity, just about any species of dwarf cichlid can be excellent tankmates.

Here's what I suggest. Get your 75g planted set up and mature with all the tankmates first. While this is occuring grow out 5 young discus in a bare bottom 29g. The process should take 6-8 months. A 29g allows for simpler pwcs and makes medicating (if needed), much less stressful.

Attachments

• saturday_111.jpg
    saturday_111.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 38
BrianNY said:
Unlike most other species JDogg, discus should be housed seperately until they reach 4". As juveniles they are extremely susceptible to many pathogens which other species easily slough off. After they reach maturity, just about any species of dwarf cichlid can be excellent tankmates.

Here's what I suggest. Get your 75g planted set up and mature with all the tankmates first. While this is occuring grow out 5 young discus in a bare bottom 29g. The process should take 6-8 months. A 29g allows for simpler pwcs and makes medicating (if needed), much less stressful.
yea sorry, forgot to mention i will be growing the discus out in an empty 45 i have laying around :D

I chose eartheaters because I know nothing about discus except people tell me they're difficult, and the jurupari I have is the sweetest looking fish with his spikey dorsal fin 8) .

Back
Top Bottom