Eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garfy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have experience with tanganikan eels.I think they look pretty cool and was thinking of adding them to my tank.Do they fair well with cichlids.
Tank size : 143g
Mixed Malawi cichlids : mbuna,haps and peacocks

Well it sounds like your tank is big enough i have a fire eel with mine and love him. You really need to have a tight lid as they are escape artist. They are hard to find and expensive also. I think he would be fine with them. Should have alot of hiding for them too. My mbunas dont mess with him. There isnt much info on them though. Good luck.

Aside from feeding they should be fine w/cichlids. If you're lucky they may take NLS pellets, but some will only eat live or fozen food. Also not going to compete successfully for food with active cichlids like mbuna and Hap's.
I kept a pair of plagiostoma in a 29 for several years. They thrived on frozen bloodworms and occasionally frozen brine shrimp. Spawned a number of times, but the male always ate the eggs. Lost them to a bacterial bloom when I left some zucchini in the tank (for BN pleco's) too long. Water was very cloudy, O2 was too low for the eels, but the BN were going to the surface for air and survived.
I just set up a 220, and will be stocking another pair of them next week.

Back
Top Bottom