Egg murder mystery.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Herotilapia_Multispinosa

Aquarium Advice Freak
My dream world where fish is all that matters.
Maybe you guys can help me out. My rainbow cichlids spawned last night. They spawned in a community tank so I was not expecting any to survive but I thought the eggs would make it a little longer. They did the deed last night and now the eggs are gone. They keep doing thier dance by the rock they layed them yesterday and I woke up this morning and they were gone. I removed the pictus last night to could this be why? Would a stressed mother eat her eggs? Also when I woke up she was on the other side of the tank so bad parenting you think?

Is it their first spawn? Sometimes they will eat their first few.

Did you move the pictus before or after the spawning? If before, it could just be nervous first time parents. If after, it could have upset them.

Cichlids will eat the eggs for any number of reasons; They decide they don't like where they laid eggs, too many other fish around, us humans watching them too much, new parents, new partners.

Her hormones could still be in spawning mode. I know with any of ours that have spawned it takes a day or two before they calm down and start acting like parents.

Also, some males will eat the eggs. From what I understand, the males do this because they still having high spawning hormones as well.

One of these days I should research that to see if it's true or not.

Back
Top Bottom