Eggs on the rocks, ain't no surprise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
Finally I have eggs!

I have 5 other firemouths in with the pair. I need to find someone who will take good care of them. They ain't going back to the LFS no way no how.

But I have eggs!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh erm ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417551122.468187.jpg

Not the best picture in the world. I knew something was up as the pit under the rock was getting deeper and deeper and there's a big pile of gravel at the side of it.

Nice! After all the praise I gave my fire mouths I gave up on mine and sold them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If this is your first time with eggs don't be surprised if they get moved. My first time my heart sank when I saw the eggs gone only to find wrigglers in another pit. I have had two different breeding pairs and they both moved the wrigglers from pit to pit every night.

Also I wouldn't get rid of your others to quickly. I had one pair that they raised the fry until free swimming for three days and then the male ate all of them and has never stopped trying to murder the female. They are now separated in different tanks I tried re introducing twice and it didn't go ever well. I wasn't planning on breeding again anyways I actually thought they were both male until I saw the breeding activity.

My first pair were great and I got several batches out of them they just went psycho and tried to kill everyone else in the tank. My wife hates it when I say that she says "they aren't "psycho" just good parents. I suppose she is right.

oh BTW congrats and good luck

^^^^^You call these fry?!?!? Nomnomnomnom.. now you and your tainted womb will die.>:0
Congrats caliban. . Exciting stuff when all your efforts are rewarded!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If this is your first time with eggs don't be surprised if they get moved. My first time my heart sank when I saw the eggs gone only to find wrigglers in another pit. I have had two different breeding pairs and they both moved the wrigglers from pit to pit every night.

Also I wouldn't get rid of your others to quickly. I had one pair that they raised the fry until free swimming for three days and then the male ate all of them and has never stopped trying to murder the female. They are now separated in different tanks I tried re introducing twice and it didn't go ever well. I wasn't planning on breeding again anyways I actually thought they were both male until I saw the breeding activity.

My first pair were great and I got several batches out of them they just went psycho and tried to kill everyone else in the tank. My wife hates it when I say that she says "they aren't "psycho" just good parents. I suppose she is right.

oh BTW congrats and good luck

Thanks, I suppose there is no guarantee they are fertilised anyway? I'm not quite sure what to do yet. The female is in the pit and the male is doing security rounds although I haven't seen much aggression.....yet.

If i do get wrigglers, what's the best course of action? I have a small 19ltr tank I could set up if I have to move them but I don't think this is big enough?

Will they eat crushed fish food at some stage?

^^^^^You call these fry?!?!? Nomnomnomnom.. now you and your tainted womb will die.>:0

Thanks Brookster lol. I just hope I don't have the same bad experience as rivers.

I had the same thought. He was like no way are these mine.

Thanks, I suppose there is no guarantee they are fertilised anyway? I'm not quite sure what to do yet. The female is in the pit and the male is doing security rounds although I haven't seen much aggression.....yet.

If i do get wrigglers, what's the best course of action? I have a small 19ltr tank I could set up if I have to move them but I don't think this is big enough?

Will they eat crushed fish food at some stage?

For my successful batches I did two things and they both worked. The first time I moved them to a 20 long and fed them hikari first bites for a week then moved to crushed flake food and they did well. The second I left them with the parents and they lived of the stuff in the tank and left over flake food, moved them out later on.

A couple time I removed the parents and let fry get eaten cause once they started the bred faster than I could handle.

here is a video of my first batch after moving them.
Firemouth Fry and Red Severum - YouTube

If you're going to move the wait until they have been free swimming for several days then net out half. Put them into a well established tank that has allot little critters for them to eat.

Wait a few days then start feeding brine and/or daphnia until they can take crushed pellets. I also keep cherry shrimp in my fry tanks to clean up any scraps.

Back
Top Bottom