Electric blue hap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Km84

Aquarium Advice Freak
My two electric blue haps have been acting odd. They have been what looks like fighting all the sudden. The more dominant one locks lips with the smaller one and the smaller one goes back for more almost egging him on... Anyone know anything about these fish? They never fought before

Here are a few pics

Attachments

• image-3622932338.jpg
    image-3622932338.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 84
  • image-593503696.jpg
    image-593503696.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 86
  • image-2767416953.jpg
    image-2767416953.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 82
  • image-1200720893.jpg
    image-1200720893.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 85
My two electric blue haps have been acting odd. They have been what looks like fighting all the sudden. The more dominant one locks lips with the smaller one and the smaller one goes back for more almost egging him on... Anyone know anything about these fish? They never fought before

Fairly typically African behavior. Do you have multiple males without females or multiple males with females. IME what you are seeing is a typical battle for dominance within the tank. Eventually one or the other will win, and most likely one or both may be injured.

I think my other fish sense the tension and are staying hidden. Even my convict who use to be in charge mows stays clear!

I had two yellow labs that did the same thing and it didnt stop until one rips the other lip off an it died. Then the other one took the tank over. Even with much bigger fish, Uaru and Severums.

umm the 'convict'? do u have an american in an african tank? oh dear lol :p

yes it seems like a dominance battle. how many of these fish do u have? x

Yes I know the convict doesn't belong but he needs to remain there for a bit longer. They don't mind each other just the two blue haps seem to be having a power struggle.

No they are the only two I suck with makes cause I the color and I don't want to deal with mating and fry

You may want to consider adding a few more. Having several males, rather then just two will help distribute the aggression.

That said however, how large of an aquarium are we talking about here?

fair enough, but mouthbrooders dont limit themselves to just their species. they will happily breed with anything that resembles a fish (lol) like my prev egyptian mouthbrooder always hitting on my buffalo cichlid female.

so they can hybridize if they both spawn the same way really, does this change anything? does either fish display to any tankmates?

No they just pick on each other. And all my fish are males. It's a 55.

No they just pick on each other. And all my fish are males. It's a 55.

Tank size is adequate, but do you have more than two Electric blue hap. males? If not, you may consider adding a few more. Generally the Africans are mainly aggressive with their own species or another species that is very similar in color. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom