Electric Blue Peakcock miscolored??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pgreptom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I bought an electric blue peacock who was young(less than 3 months) approx from my LSF - now he is miscolored - from his front fins towards his nose, he has a yellowish tint - mostly on the top of his head. I've had him now for approximately 2 - 3 weeks. He got the yellow tint probably 2-4 days after I bought him. There are about 10 other cichlids who was less than 5 months old with him in the same tank.

The tank is a 55 gallon, no other fishes are showing miscoloration.. I do frequent 15%ish water changes - once a week. I vac the gravel once every two weeks. The water stays at 78F with a heater. I have two cascade filters 600's - and my PH is approximately 7.6-7.7. My ammonia is 0 - nitrates are practically 0. I have fresh carbon in both of my filters.

Is this some type of water problem? Unhappy? Stressed?

Can I expect the fish to return to that beautiful dark blue? I have 2 other electric blue peacocks - one a beautiful dark blue who is younger, and one that is a female that's a silverish/blue(which I know is typical)

Please help. If the fish is not gonna go back to dark blue, I'll just change my expectations and still love it like it was. I just need to know now, rather than being disappointed in 2 years.

Thanks again for your help. Happy Holidays! :)

Hi there, i would suppose it's just part of their maturity. I don't think your water conditions is what's causing it. Cichlids to change their color as they mature. I don't suppose he's going to turn all yellowish, just a little tints. It's the same think that I noticed in my blue peacocks, they eventually turned bluish gray.

I've searched for discoloration in this site. Aquarium Tropical Fish Experts-Aquariums-Coral only to find out that it was part of their maturity stage. Did you ask your LFS how old they were?

Back
Top Bottom