Electric Blue Ram Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dfmastin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone find Electric Blue Ram (EBR) females? I've read they may be difficult to find. So, I'm wondering how the blue coloration works. Is it recessive, poly-genetic, etc? I'm wondering if you have an EBR male and typical German Blue Ram (GBR) female what characteristics would the fry possess? How about crossing GBR and Gold Rams? Would that be a plausible model? It's been a while since I've studied Punnett Squares in biology. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

they are new and its hard to say. i can go off on what others have claimed but there they are just claims. until more people get them and start to play with them its hard to say for sure.

Yeah, smart to be cautious. I think you'd mentioned EBRs are running for $20 in your neck of the woods. Do you know if any females are out there? On a related note, here's a pic of one of the GBR females that are living with my EBR males (two each).

img1864f.jpg

they are new and its hard to say. i can go off on what others have claimed but there they are just claims. until more people get them and start to play with them its hard to say for sure.

havent really looked. i just know a lot of people out there talking like they have any kind of clue but i am willing to bet most are not.

Well, if I make any progress I'll keep the forum updated!

havent really looked. i just know a lot of people out there talking like they have any kind of clue but i am willing to bet most are not.

I've come across references that you can breed GBRs with Golds, but I haven't had any luck with that. Of course I've noticed that the Gold females I've had are way more aggressive that the GBR females. Even bossed around male GBRs.

Just like us women huh? *lol*

If you have any luck getting them to spawn together I'd really be interested in reading your progress.

Thanks for the info. No comment ;). And I'll keep you posted!

You can always check here
Aquarium Blog
I'll guess I'll start being more descriptive in the blog once I'm pretty sure the tank isn't going to come "crashing" around my ears. I'm such a noob!

I've come across references that you can breed GBRs with Golds, but I haven't had any luck with that. Of course I've noticed that the Gold females I've had are way more aggressive that the GBR females. Even bossed around male GBRs.

Just like us women huh? *lol*

If you have any luck getting them to spawn together I'd really be interested in reading your progress.

Blue rams and golds can interbreed. I had F5's of a wild Columbian yellow X GBR. I also had 50% wild rams that the breeder told me would throw golds and blues if they bred.

Oh, the female rams (Freon and Krypton) seem devoid of eggs today. At least Krypton does. She had been looking bigger day after day and exhibiting some interest in creating a spawning spot. The males (Boron and Xenon) seem much more interested in tank hierarchy issues.

Try a little brine shrimp, a PWC and some Tetra Black Water Tonic (dose per tank size). Every time I do that with ours they go egg crazy. Too bad ours are still so young, they don't take good care of the eggs yet. :(

Good luck

Thanks for the advice!

My problem seems to be that the females are producing eggs and picking spots to lay them, but the males seem oblivious to the overtures. I have two males and two females in a 50 gallon heavily planted tank, not really by design. I'd planned on only having one male, but was sold my two electric blues as a male/female pair when they were both males.

Anyway, one of the females is again big with eggs and picking spots to lay them and chasing away other fish, but as I noted the males seem to treat her as a competitor rather than potential mate. This morning I notice that she had a small whitish spot near the dorsal fin. When I examined with a magnifying glass when she paused near the front I could see it looked like a nip right through her scales.

Behaviorally she seems fine, but what do y'all think? Two males and two females in a heavily planted 50 gallon too many? You can see the tank here (Aquarium Blog). The two electric blue males look so nice and healthy I'd hate to get rid of one. I only have two rummy nose tetras as dithers. I meant to have more, just bad luck. Could more rummy nose distract them sufficiently or just add fuel to the fire? (four rams, one oto, two cories, two rummy nose, five tiny scarlet badis, a mystery snail, and maybe a shrimp or two).

My wife suggested I set up another tank. I guess I should jump on that suggestion, but I'm a bit of a freak in wanting to do things just right and the last thing I need is another money sink. Woe is me. Lemme know what you think!

Try a little brine shrimp, a PWC and some Tetra Black Water Tonic (dose per tank size). Every time I do that with ours they go egg crazy. Too bad ours are still so young, they don't take good care of the eggs yet. :(

Good luck

can you by chance post pics of the electric blue's? ive seen them on stock lists for suppliers but havent had the pleasure of seeing them in person... thanks

Thanks sooo much. These links were spot on for the information I needed!

Back
Top Bottom