Electric Blue Ram Female with head & eyes turning black

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skywalker28

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Requesting assistance with my Female Electric Blue Ram. She is normally very energetic and comes to the glass when I feed. Today she hung back on the side of the glass and I noticed her head and eyes are turning black. I have a Male Electric Blue and 9 X-ray tetras that look and are acting fine. I will post a picture a little later but any help will be greatly appreciated!

Requesting assistance with my Female Electric Blue Ram. She is normally very energetic and comes to the glass when I feed. Today she hung back on the side of the glass and I noticed her head and eyes are turning black. I have a Male Electric Blue and 9 X-ray tetras that look and are acting fine. I will post a picture a little later but any help will be greatly appreciated!
Can you isolate her or get a pic? I have rams too, and I've never heard of this.

It's a black line, like a scar, she's holding to one spot in the tank? Picture would greatly assist in ramnosis.

The pic posted upside down for some reason, she is at the front of the tank now but not swimming very well.

The mouth being open would lead me to think there is something clogging the gills and causing the mouth open breathing?
Many parasites are well hidden in the gills.
How long have you had the pair..What is water parameters as for as ph/gh/kh and maybe TDS?

The mouth being open would lead me to think there is something clogging the gills and causing the mouth open breathing?
Many parasites are well hidden in the gills.
How long have you had the pair..What is water parameters as for as ph/gh/kh and maybe TDS?
Finally got a test kit in:

KH: 9°dKH
pH: 7,5
NO2: 0,75 mg/l
gH: 14

How is the rams behavior and eating habit now ?
Have you noted the fish changing colors possibly from stress or comfort?

How is the rams behavior and eating habit now ?
Have you noted the fish changing colors possibly from stress or comfort?

Unfortunately, the Female has died. :( All of the other fish seem to be doing fine as far as color and feeding goes. (9 X-Ray Tetras, 1 Electric Blue Dwarf Cichlid, 2 Bristlenose Plecos & 2 Mystery Snails)

However, I brought my previously posted readings to my LFS and I was told to use 30ml of JBL Denitrol Bacteria starter every other day for the next 10 days without water changes to bring my NO2 back down to 0.

I messed my NO2 up by rinsing my filters after some of my plant leaves got stuck in them. He also stated that 25%-33% water changes for a 54L tank is good enough and I should not be doing 50% water changes every week which also brings up the NO2 readings as the good bacteria is taken out of the tank.

Any further advise or constructive criticism is more than welcome!

Thank you in advance.

Unfortunately, the Female has died. :( All of the other fish seem to be doing fine as far as color and feeding goes. (9 X-Ray Tetras, 1 Electric Blue Dwarf Cichlid, 2 Bristlenose Plecos & 2 Mystery Snails)

However, I brought my previously posted readings to my LFS and I was told to use 30ml of JBL Denitrol Bacteria starter every other day for the next 10 days without water changes to bring my NO2 back down to 0.

I messed my NO2 up by rinsing my filters after some of my plant leaves got stuck in them. He also stated that 25%-33% water changes for a 54L tank is good enough and I should not be doing 50% water changes every week which also brings up the NO2 readings as the good bacteria is taken out of the tank.

Any further advise or constructive criticism is more than welcome!

Thank you in advance.
Here are the reading over the last few days for my Tank:

04 May 17 - added 30ml Denitrol
KH: 9°dKH
gH: 14

06 May 17 - added 30ml Denitrol
KH: 10°dKH
gH: 13

08 May 17 - added 30ml Denitrol

09 May 17
KH: 10°dKH
pH:* 7,5
NO2: 0,0 mg/l
gH: 15

The NO2 is finally at 0. Does anything else have to change to ensure Cichlids are happy (i.e. Hard to Soft Water)?

Back
Top Bottom