Electric Blue Rams (Neon Blue Rams)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GBR and Bolivians are really, really hard to find locally (aside from the one shop I got some GBRs at, they lasted about a week). These little guys were expensive, $19.99 each, but I love rams, and had never seen anything like these ones before, so I couldn't help myself...

The shop's owner pays very close attention to where his stock come from, so I feel like I am getting better stock.

I will post some better pictures this weekend when I get some time. I took these with my cell phone and I was in a rush as I headed off to work.

I have very soft acidic water.

Really absolut? GBR's are only $1 more than bolivians at my shop.

GBR and Bolivians are really, really hard to find locally (aside from the one shop I got some GBRs at, they lasted about a week). These little guys were expensive, $19.99 each, but I love rams, and had never seen anything like these ones before, so I couldn't help myself...

The shop's owner pays very close attention to where his stock come from, so I feel like I am getting better stock.

I will post some better pictures this weekend when I get some time. I took these with my cell phone and I was in a rush as I headed off to work.
That's what they cost here as well. I wonder if he got them from a local breeder? If so, that would be awesome. If not, they weren't raised in water the same as yours and you are more likely to have problems with them.

I am guessing he did get them locally, because he says that he visited the breeder quite often and watched his stock for a while.

I'm curious, how much is that? At my lfs they are 8.99 and 9.99.
My Bolivians were (I think) $5-6. But the gbr range from $13-30 depending on size. I thought about getting some for $13, but then my good lfs had troubles with them and I saw the tank was taken off sale and quarantined twice. The lfs lady said they were having disease troubles with the rams. So, I didn't want to spend the money on fish that the store couldn't even keep healthy. I should also add that my lfs qt's fish before they sell them. They didn't have trouble with the expensive ones, but that is seriously stretching my budget, especially when they are so sensitive, and I wanted a pair.

I wanted a pair too. :popcorn:

My wife won't appreciate how much I spent, so here is hoping they survive! I am hopeful that they are male and female so they will breed, but apparently I have no idea how to sex them, as jeta thought they were opposite of what I did.

I don't know how to sex gbr. I can sex Bolivians by their belly silhouette, but its not always easy to do.
I think they were an excellent buy, especially since your lfs guy had been watching them for awhile. I have never even seen the electric blues before anywhere. I hope they are a pair!

My friend bought an electric blue for 20$ here...died next day lol. He got his money back though

Sorry to hear that for your friend. Mine still seem good. Mostly out in the open of the tank, and checking out the surroundings.

Seems like they are taking a liking to the slate pieces that I put in for them to spawn on, I placed them just outside a terra cotta pot cave.

Here are a few more pictures, the aquarium lights were off for these:

IMAG0235 by h2oskierc, on Flickr

IMAG0239 by h2oskierc, on Flickr

IMAG0241 by h2oskierc, on Flickr

Just did a 50% PWC. Parameters before the change were 80 degrees (I bumped the heater up a little bit more), pH of 8.1, 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 5ppm Nitrate. With a PWC every three days, these guys should stay really happy I think. So far they are doing great, both are going after food and no clamped fins (except when they swim, which I believe is normal).

I haven't been one to name fish, but I think the male will be D'Artagnan and the female will be Madame Bonacieux...

Just did another PWC a day late (Monday was the last one if I recall). Nitrates at 10ppm, both EBRs seem to be doing great.

They don't spend too much time around each other, when they are they seem to be almost playing, chasing each other around.

I will try to get a little video of them.

Back
Top Bottom