Electric Blue + Tiger Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
https://youtu.be/201KKrkgH_E

Just wanted to share this. The aggressive temperament of this particular Electric Blue lake malawai happened to mesh very well with this Tigar Oscar. The Electric blue is kind of a jerk. Took out a couple smaller similar region cichlids. I can't tell the sex of fish well. I assume the Electric Blue to be male and perhaps my male to female ratio was off balance. However the tiger seems to buddy up with the E blue perfectly.

To answer the assumed questions I anticipate will be asked. It's a 120g tank with double sump overflow 45g + 45g. (Barrels plumbed together) 4 12×12 filter pads with egg crate. 20# lava rock. Big bag of carbon hanging in a barrel. Home made overflow siphon and home made return plumbing. 1300gph home depot waterfall pump. Home depot sand. Home made led light strip

Stock list
Electric Blue
Tiger Oscar
Chinese algae eater
6 silver dollars
4 tiger barbs
2 smaller electric yellow cichlid
2 Bala Shark.

I understand the standardized stocking rules. And size of full grown species. This tank is amazingly enjoyable for my sanity :) established nearly a year and never had a spot of algae once. If overgrowth does happen id love an upgrade. Also have a 40g angelfish tank. And babysitting my mom's 36g bow glowfish tank

Hopefully you enjoy the video link :)

You have quite a mix of fish there ranging across several continents.Besides the fact that when some reach their adult size they will eat their tankmates your going to have issues with nutrition and water quality.Your Mbuna require a veggi based diet whereas you South American fish need a much meatier diet which could be detrimental to the health of you African cichlids.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You have quite a mix of fish there ranging across several continents.Besides the fact that when some reach their adult size they will eat their tankmates your going to have issues with nutrition and water quality.Your Mbuna require a veggi based diet whereas you South American fish need a much meatier diet which could be detrimental to the health of you African cichlids.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your oscar will gorge itself on smaller tankmates and needs lots protein because of it's meaty natural food. If you keep the fish together, your tank will either be blood-red or an endemic of ich will spread thanks to the stress of the ph difference. So your going to need a new tank.

I understand what has all been posted here. Thing about it though is odds of long term mates are always by chance. They have been living in harmony I imagine as they age and grow larger I will have to decide what needs to be done. I have a big house. Not against the concept of multiple tanks. The Electric Blue is too aggressive for sure. He will need his own tank at some point. The water quality has been fantastic as I have a double sump behind it holding another 80g of water. I hope that they get too big. I may lose a fish or two in the long run. I keep a close eye and really enjoy this setup. I feed a variety of foods. Not really if but more so when I see issues in the long run I will have a tank up and ready to go. I have a big house. I was worried about the oscar and the electric blue but so far they have been very calm to each other. And the bala sharks are sleek and never get bothered by anybody.

Well, I'll agree with garfy in that you have quite an eclectic mix of fish. I don't mix African and S Amer cichlids myself, but I know people who do, seemingly with success. I would imagine your silver dollars could become quite stressed in your setup though. Also, if I'm not mistaken, bala sharks are schooling fish, and prefer to be in larger groups than 2. But, as my father always said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If it works well for you and your finned friends, great. IMO though, I would get my second tank up and cycling.

Back
Top Bottom