Electric Yellow Holding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

completelycich

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an Electric Yellow Lab holding. I haven't had her long and have no experience with this kind of fish breeding. I can't let her spit in my African tank, they wouldn't stand a chance. So, I guess I am going to get my first fry tank. Any suggestions? Should I move her into it soon as to not stress her out? I think it happened today and I read they hold for 18 days, that would be on the 28th. She has stayed in a cave all day which is unlike her and hasn't eaten. The male won't let anyone near. It is fascinating lol. Any tips are welcome, as this is my first adventure of this sort....:dance:

holding female

the female wont eat till she spits the fry, i would leave her in the tank as long as possible as long as the male isnt harrasing her. i would leave her in the fry tank for a few days till shes eating and gets her strenght back then return her. congrats. (y)

Thanks. He is giving her a lot of grief right now, does that usually pass in a few days? He keeps chasing her and she keeps running and tries to stay the her cave, he lets her alone for a while and then goes back in and chases her again.

Give it a couple weeks before you attempt to move her. Since this is her first time she might swallow them. Set up a 10 gallon with a sponge filter and a good cave for her to hide in.

My only experience was a pair of convicts that I couldn't keep from breeding all the time. I didn't want more so I let my oscar have free reign. I had 2 survive with them constantly breeding for years.

Will do! She was big when I got her a couple of weeks ago, she could have bred before, I just don't know. They are bout about 4 inches

I'll keep a close eye on them. I'm going to get a fry tank tomorrow. If it gets too stressful I'll move her to it and let her spit there.

Got her fry tank up and running today. Actually looks pretty great!
Put a piece of filter from her tank in its filter so it will be ready as soon as I need it. He was harassing the heck out of her today, so I moved the decor in there around. Seems to have helped for now, but I am watching like a hawk!(y)

Woke up this morning and he had her bullied out of her cave and hiding in a corner. She looked pretty exhausted. She almost willingly let me catch her like she knew I was trying to help her. She is resting in the new tank.

While she is holding the snail would be fine. The fry could potentially pick on it but not much harm for the first few weeks.

I moved him back to his normal tank, if nothing else she isn't used to snails and I want her as calm as she can be.

Back
Top Bottom