Electric Yellow Tank decorations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trombonier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1489758985671.jpg

I'm was wanting to keep & breed these little labs. I currently have 2 mystery snails, 4 Amano Shrimp, and 2 cory cats, and now 4 electric yellows. There's a big fake driftwood with fake plants attached to it. It has a cave built in and the shrimp have made that their home for about a month now. The yellows completely kicked the shrimp out of the cave within an hour of being in the tank. I font like that. I want to get a different decoration they can all share. But I don't want to go cheap and get PVCs or things like that. What's a good example of how to set up caves and crevices for both shrimp & by new fish shop they're all comfortable? Thanks. 1489759504531.jpg

How large is your tank? If you can, try to have at least 1 cave for each adult lab. Driftwood is ok, or you can get some pretty cool stone formations with multiple caves in LFS, pet stores, or online. There are also several types of resin cichlid "stones" on the market.

How large is your tank? If you can, try to have at least 1 cave for each adult lab. Driftwood is ok, or you can get some pretty cool stone formations with multiple caves in LFS, pet stores, or online. There are also several types of resin cichlid "stones" on the market.
I apologize. I forgot to include that part. It's a 40 Gallon Tall. I wanna say 30"L x 16"W x 24"T.

My choice is lava rocks. The lab's love saying in and out of all the craves it makes. Shrimp well love the protection it provides as well

View attachment 296365

I'm was wanting to keep & breed these little labs. I currently have 2 mystery snails, 4 Amano Shrimp, and 2 cory cats, and now 4 electric yellows. There's a big fake driftwood with fake plants attached to it. It has a cave built in and the shrimp have made that their home for about a month now. The yellows completely kicked the shrimp out of the cave within an hour of being in the tank. I font like that. I want to get a different decoration they can all share. But I don't want to go cheap and get PVCs or things like that. What's a good example of how to set up caves and crevices for both shrimp & by new fish shop they're all comfortable? Thanks. View attachment 296369
My LFS told me when introducing new fish, especially territorial fish, to an established tank it is best to take all decorations and fish out. Then place the decoration in differently and introduce the fish back into the tank. This will allow the fish to reestablish thier territories without fighting.

My choice is lava rocks. The lab's love saying in and out of all the craves it makes. Shrimp well love the protection it provides as well

My LFS told me when introducing new fish, especially territorial fish, to an established tank it is best to take all decorations and fish out. Then place the decoration in differently and introduce the fish back into the tank. This will allow the fish to reestablish thier territories without fighting.

Perhaps that will work with your tank without requiring new decorations.

However if you do need new decoration, go with smooth stone for caves and / or a coconut shell or flower pot per cichlid with a hole only large enough for one cichlid to enter at a time. This will also allow them to establish territory and stop aggression with tank mates.

If they continue to attack your shrimp, it is because they are meat eaters and the shrimps may not be compatible with cichlids in that tank. I feed frozen shrimp in the morning and flakes / small crustacean pellets (they have the same nutrition value as the larger cichlid pellets but are easier for the dwarfs to eat) at night.

Back
Top Bottom