Emergency!!!! Heater Broke and Temp Way UP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soccerstud652

Aquarium Advice Regular
My heater broke, I set the temperature to 72 deg f and it just kept going up, and it reached about 90 deg f. I have 3 African (Mbunas) Cichlids. I just thre in 2 icepacks, even though I know this isn't good, it has reduced the temperature back to normal. Can you tell me the potential damages and dangers that I have just subjected my fish too, and also what I should do to re-gain my aquairium's proper habitat.

I don't think there will be too much of a side effect. The same thing happened to me and all my fish were really suffering (not swimming, floating, swimming sideways).. i did a water change and added cold water and ice cubes and within minutes they were fine

Yeh, the ice seemed to have helped, as the water is now about 77, which isnt that bad. I have taken out the ice now, and I am going to keep the top open until it goes down to about 74. I put some food in, and they have all been swimming and eating very fast and normal. Are there any long term effects to what this may have done to my helpful bacteria, algae growth, or anything else?

i've heard that bacteria actually do better in warmer temps, and that shouldn't have been high enough to boil them :wink:

in australia my tank tends to be in the higher range. as a result i have never ever ever had ich or fungal diseases. and cycling goes faster in higher temps and the good bacteria thrive.

What type of heater was this and do you know the cause? In regard to your actions, of course wild temp swings can stress fish - considering your options, placing the ice was a good idea (ice packs rather than ice cubes which haven't been treated).

Well, I had a Neptune 25 watt heater. Piece of garbage, I warn all of you never to buy it. Almost cost me 3 of my baby fish.

The same thing happened to me last year. And I did all of the same things that you did (ice cubes, cold water, even added more air stones with an extra pump). It didn't help. Sure the thermometer went down, but the heater turned out to not be the problem. My thermometer was the problem. Over night it went from reading correctly to reading about 10 degrees high. The thermometer is worth checking out. I won't buy a cheap one again.

Are you sure that you should be keeping the temp that low? I have the 2 African Cichlid tanks and I keep both temps between 78 and 80 degrees. When the tanks have been sick in the past (ick) I raised the temp up to 85 to 86 degrees. IMO, I would say that your hitting about 90 won't cause too many problems with your fisf in the long term.

I'm more worried about 3 African Mbuna's being in a 5 gal tank. That is awfully cramped. Even if they are small, they need lots of open swimming space. The temp in my tanks for African's is normally around 78 to 80 degrees. And when treating for ich, the temp in the tanks are slowly raised to about 87 degrees. You shouldn't have long term problems with the fish since that is a common temp for ich treatment.

I do plan on getting a bigger tank within the next two months, I wasn't sure if fish were for me so I wanted to start small, but its a great hobby. I plan on getting a 50 or 60 or 70 gallon tank for my den soon. As for the temperature, PetSmart said they keep their tanks at 72, and thats what I should keep it at. Should I keep it higher?

For the African Cichlids from Lake Malawi, yes! Go with the 78 to 80 degree range. Places like PetSmart use a single filter set up for all of there tanks, and maintain a single water quality for all of the tanks as well. Not the most healthy place to looking for advice considering that the majority of the employees hired on because they think that the puppies are cute. Mbuna perfer warmer waters and there personalities will show it.

I agree with Fishyfanatic too. 5 Gallons is too small for a single Mbuna, let alone 3. I'd be looking for that larger tank soon.

Out of curiosity, what species Mbuna are they?

Gald to hear that the fish thing is for you. Welcome to the hobby!

PetSmart said they keep their tanks at 72, and thats what I should keep it at. Should I keep it higher?

No wonder there is a lot of ich problems when getting fish from the larger stores. 72 degrees for mbunas is too low. As stated earlier, a temp of 78-82 is a much better temperature. 80-82 would be even better.

Ok I will do that then. I have pics, but I don't know how to load them on the forum. If you tell me how I'd be glad too.

You need to use the reply link in blue above the posts, not the quick reply box. From there it is pretty easy... make sure the pic is 250kb or less

soccerstud652 said:
and if they are over 250kb then how do i reduce them?

Photoshop.....

I use ArcSoft Photostudio. I reduce them to a size 640x480 and that gets 250kb..... Some places like 85kb or something... then I just crop all the irrelevent infromation out.
Shrink more if required.....

Back
Top Bottom