Enough rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is this enough rocks for an African cichlid tank?
3856692483_89f7d734eb.jpg

3856692481_f51d8b6006.jpg

3856692475_61b6dd78ca.jpg

I've had some tell me yes and some tell me no. What is your opinion? Its a cycling 55g.

Yes or no depends on how many fish you put in. You have to have at least one hiding place for each fish. That way each can stake out a place. Looks great though.

I'll try to find some more flat rocks tomorrow. I'll rinse them outside so my dad doesn't get as mad. Wish me luck. I'll post a picture once I get them in there.

It's up to you... I mean, this is my 75 gallon mbuna tank, and I still don't think it's enough rock work, lol... :p But believe it or not there are 20 fish in this tank, some bigger than 3" and when they want to (like in this photo) they all have a hole to dash into and hide.

Attachments

• rocks.jpg
    rocks.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 119
Looks great!!! Just make sure they are stable so you dont have an avalanche. Looking great though. You are doing great things with your tank! Almost time to take out the net and sponge!!!!!!

Yeah, thnx. Sadly I messed up the rockwork and some became unstable so I had to take tham out. I tryed every rock to fit in its place but nothing worked. But its better to have a few stable rocks than a bunch of unstable ones. It isn't so bad tho. I also had an accidental strength test. I dropped a 5 lb rock from about 5-7 in and it held up fine. I didn't mean to tho.
3871010252_c120b19ed1.jpg

Is it still enough? It seems like all the rocks are refusing to become stable in tht area :(

You'd have to take them out, "glue" them then let it cure. But if it can stand up to a 14inch jaguar cichlid, it can stand up to africans :)

I had to do that when I had a jaguar in his own 55. He would knock over everything and the fake plants floated. I used the sealant to fit the rocks together and to "glue" gravel to the plant bases so they wouldn't float.

Of course a 14inch fish didn't need the rocks to hide in, it was purely for my enjoyment lol

You'd have to take them out, "glue" them then let it cure. But if it can stand up to a 14inch jaguar cichlid, it can stand up to africans :)

I had to do that when I had a jaguar in his own 55. He would knock over everything and the fake plants floated. I used the sealant to fit the rocks together and to "glue" gravel to the plant bases so they wouldn't float.

Of course a 14inch fish didn't need the rocks to hide in, it was purely for my enjoyment lol

Lol, this thing is becoming a money pit. Is it ok to add the siliconed rocks after I add fish?

Yep, as long as you let the silicon cure and rinse it off.

Yeah our hobby is expensive at times, but I love it. Eeesh tank 9 now lol

Thanks, itll be a while, maybe not til my bday, but I'll look into it. This money pit is probly going to delay my 2.5g :( lol

Back
Top Bottom