Experienced in keeping firemouth cichilds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grace130994

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Saw some in the store and want to know about them, I'd love to get one! Any tips advice from anyone?

Firemouths grow to about 5 - 6 inches (with the males typically slightly larger than the females) and are moderately agressive as far as cichlids go.

I've had them co-exist with community fish for short periods of time, but that's not advisable long term, as they are too aggressive. You really need a 30 - 40 gallon tank for 1 long term. You'd probably do better with bigger tank if you plan on keeping more than one or adding tankmates. They tend to claim a lot of space, so a good footprint is essential to keeping peace. Firemouths are compatible with other medium-sized semi-aggressive cichlids.

I recommend them if you have a good setup for them. They look great when they start growing and get their color.

Any specific questions about keeping them?

Hummmm I don't think I'd really be able to keep one, in the thank that I have then because I prefer a good community fish! They guy at the store said they were aggressive but he usually doesn't know what he's talking about so I wanted to make sure first, thank you for your help! :)

In my experience they seem to cover the spectrum of aggression, ranging from meek to very aggressive. The aggression is usually more conspecific than towards other tankmates, this the normal but there are always exceptions.

Last edited:
Hummmm I don't think I'd really be able to keep one, in the thank that I have then because I prefer a good community fish! They guy at the store said they were aggressive but he usually doesn't know what he's talking about so I wanted to make sure first, thank you for your help! :)

I certainly wouldn't classify them as "Good Community Fish".

As Hukit said, their aggression levels really do vary among the indivudual fish, as well as depending on the tank mates. I had a male firemouth that was very shy and passive in a tank full of community fish and has become very aggressive once introduced with other cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom