Extremely odd! HELP PLEASE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtoZ Cichlids

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just witnessed something that I have never ever seen my fish do. And not only have I never seen any one fish do this, but every one of them was doing this. I'm so puzzled. I just fed my mixed mbuna tank, flakes, usually it's bloodworms but every once in a while I'll feed them flakes. I noticed that they would snag a flake in their mouths, then swim down about an inch and a half, then release a good amount of bubbles from their gills. Should I be worried about this odd behavior? I know that it's not safe for some goldfish to eat flakes due to the threat of swim bladder disease. What's going on?

I've been told its not good for them to get air when eating. I have always given my SA/CA's sinking pellets.

I don't think any air is getting into their system. Just in their mouths and out their gills. I've fed them flakes before and they have never done this. If it could end up being lethal ill post a video of it on YouTube for you guys to help diagnose.

I'm just concerned. They seem fine, I don't see anything bad happening in the future. But you can't be too safe. These are my babies!

In my opinion, I think they're fine. I feed floating pellets and sinking pellets and when my fish go after the floating pellets, they will sometimes do what your fish are doing. I think its just them getting some air while they attack the flake and they're pushing it out once they're under the surface.

My JD has been doing this since I got him 3 years ago.

They are just vigorously eating. My cichlids do this occasionally and one actually manages to get a belly full of air and gives him buoyancy issues. It's kind of funny to watch actually :)

That being said it doesn't seem to harm them at all as they have all been very healthy for the 9 months I've had them. Haven't had a single death.

You shouldn't be feeding mbuna bloodworms. They are herbivores that eat algae off of rocks and their intestines can't handle all of the protein in bloodworms. Give them a green vegetable based flake food and you can supplement with frozen brine shrimp that have been fed Spirulina algae.

Ive been told numerous times they are omnivorous. Your right though. Thats embarassing.

I do buy soft stem plants for them to eat. Thats still okay though right?

Blood worms will rot in the intestines and lead them to death there digestive system can't digest it right because there diet in the wild is algae based I made the same mistake dont worry just switch up there diet as for the bubbles I wouldn't worry about it most likely just air caught while grabbing flakes my fish do it all the time and never had a death

Sent from my PRO7D using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom