Fairly new Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you use if you wouldn't mind sharing?! I haven't attempted yet.

Well I took the old cartridge out and ripped off all the flossy material from the plastic. It took a bit of time but you only have to do it once. Then I bought a big bag of filter floss (it is like one giant sheet)... Cut it to size and used a few rubber bands to attach it to the old cartridge plastic. So far it's working good and I'm saving a lot of money!

Ok Angellover and Ericmoseley I have a question for you guys about filters..... I'm starting a new 55 and I put a AC70 on it so far. I'm using the bio beads in it but have currently put them in my 30 gallon to absorb some good bacteria to transfer in to the larger tank. All of the stock and decoration in the 30 will be put into the 55 as soon as it is done cycling...... Do you guys think that putting the bio beads in the small tank before I put them in the filter is a good idea or bad idea?

Ok Angellover and Ericmoseley I have a question for you guys about filters..... I'm starting a new 55 and I put a AC70 on it so far. I'm using the bio beads in it but have currently put them in my 30 gallon to absorb some good bacteria to transfer in to the larger tank. All of the stock and decoration in the 30 will be put into the 55 as soon as it is done cycling...... Do you guys think that putting the bio beads in the small tank before I put them in the filter is a good idea or bad idea?

I admittedly am not the most experienced with this BUT Iwoukd let all run in the current tank and then transfer the filter ( and some gravel) from the old to the new and let it run a few days then I think you'd be ready to stock as you want. I didn't have the benefit of having a running tank to utilize when starting mine so I ran it for a couple weeks with some community fish in and a n active sponge filter from angels plus I ordered ( great product) that says you can put fish in ASAP as long as its in your new setup. And stocked it a week later. Been 3 weeks and I saw a bacterial bloom happen and clear up in the first week and stocked right after. The fish ( about 20 Africans ) have been in for 3 weeks and all parameters have been great and fish are doing well. Does that help? Sorry if not very detailed but feel free to ask me questions about my experience. Not sure if I have been lucky but had food success without the "fish less cycle".

That sounds great.... What products did you use? I want to pull some of the decor out and put it in there too but I'm afraid if I take too much of the hiding places out of my current tank I'll end up having some aggression issues in the close quarters.

That sounds great.... What products did you use? I want to pull some of the decor out and put it in there too but I'm afraid if I take too much of the hiding places out of my current tank I'll end up having some aggression issues in the close quarters.

Well I basically used two hob filters that were new and then also bought the bottled beneficial bacteria. I believe seachem makes it and treated with that and also ran the angels plus active sponge filter(google that). What I would do is you will likely need a 2nd hob so I'd get another ac70 and mix some old media on there and get that going, take a bit of gravel and toss that in new tank too and order the sponge filter (runs with an air pump) and I think you would be ok in a week. Again I was. In just too impatient for fish less cycle! I also had 5 black skirt tetras for 1$ each in there and moved to community tank once it was time to stock

I actually have a canister filter on the way... It just hasn't come in yet, but I had one and couldn't let it sit without water in it any longer haha I'm impatient as well! I am gonna look for the bacteria stuff your talking about..... That sounds like it may speed things up a bit

"Blue guy" looks to be a Kenyi. Try "Mini, slow-sinking" cichlid pellets and frozen brine shrimp (on occasion). Occasional algae wafers (drop in whole and watch the fun begin) and a very thin slice of zucchini is also good for them (I remove any seeds, remove the rind, and drop my zucchini slices in boiling water for a few seconds before putting them in the aquarium).

Back
Top Bottom