Fairy Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lordT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought these fish under the premise they would be ok in my community tank. Any of you have experience? They attacked my betta and killed a tetra but have since left the rest of my tank alone? They are still juveniles. L. Bachardi is the scientific nameImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396137985.394256.jpg

How big is the tank. They are safe in a community tank with other African cichlids.

They are called brichardis, ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396212716.039936.jpg
This is one of mine, they're 5 inches full grown. They're fairly aggressive

They're from lake tan, (not gonna even attempt to spell it lol) they do not belong with the current tank mates you have them with, they will more than likely kill off your whole tank. They need to be kept in a community of other semi aggressive to aggressive cichlids.

They're from lake tan, (not gonna even attempt to spell it lol) they do not belong with the current tank mates you have them with, they will more than likely kill off your whole tank. They need to be kept in a community of other semi aggressive to aggressive cichlids.

Lake tanganyika. And these generally do best in a species only tank

How big is the tank. They are safe in a community tank with other African cichlids.

"African cichlid" can refer to anything from riverine cichlids to Tanganyikan cichlids to Malawi cichlids to Victorian cichlids, etc. Not all of these are suitable tank mates, by a long shot. It's important to not make blanket statements like this, as there could be newbies reading this who don't know any better.

OP, your Brichardi are beautiful fish, and not terribly aggressive by rift lake cichlid standards, but they are still not good community fish. I would have to suggest returning either the Brichardi, or the other fish in your tank. Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure. :(

I moved them to a species only 20gal. They will be happy and taken care of in there. Thank all of you so much for the info. It was vastly different than what I was told. I will stick to my GBR's from now on for my community.

They will eventually need a larger tank than a 20 gal long. Not only do they get quite large (over 5"), but they are very prolific and actually protect their young once they start breeding.

Look up brichardi death squad! All members of the family will defend the new fry. Very incredible to watch, and they often take over many tanks if you happen to have a pair!

Back
Top Bottom