Fast growing discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heatherb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just added 4 juvenile discus to my 55 gal. tank, we started with 2 small discus in a 30 gal. tank, became addicted and upgraded! Everything is going very well, the tank is fully cycled, parameters well monitored, and heavily plated. My question is, we added these 4 young discus 3 weeks ago, all but 1 were the same size, about 2", the smallest one a bit smaller, however he has proven to be the more aggressive. We gave them 2 weeks in the 55 gal. tank before adding the 2 veterans who were both about 3.5".

My question is, this smaller, more aggressive discus has grown about an inch in 3 weeks. He's about the same size as the veterans we added, and with his aggression I'm worried he may bully everyone else into a corner. Is it possible he's just going through a "growth spurt", or are we over feeding? We feed them twice a day, a good variety of frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, Tetra color granuals, Hiroki Gold discus pellets, discus flake, and frozen veggies (peas and green beans) we change it up to offer variety.

I've included pictures, the discus in question is the snake skin, blue with red scribbling. The Red Marlboro is the largest, a bit over 3", he's stunted, but doing very well in the tank. Any insight, or reassurance is appreciated!

Attachments

• scribbles.jpg
    scribbles.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 222
  • scribbles2.jpg
    scribbles2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 179
Six Discus are too many for a 55. It may be ok for now, but they will soon outgrow that tank.

+1. Maybe try to get a 120g, but with that, you might not want to add any additional discus, since I heard the rule is 20g per medium/large fish, 30 for extra large species. Someone else might be able to clear up on that but JMO.

Yep, we've got plans of upgrading yet again within the year. We've also got another 50 gal. tank cycled and waiting in case anyone has to be moved. Right now, everyone is small and manageable in 55gal.

My question is, is this normal for this huge amount of growth? He eats very well, and has been going head-to-head with the larger (stunted) discus for alpha status. He's backed off a bit, but still makes a pig of himself, and picks on the other, smaller fish. I'm sure he will quickly outgrow the stunted discus and claim his king status.

Can I expect this continued rate of growth, or will he possible slow down a bit and let the others catch up? I realize he eats the most and will probably be larger than the others that don't eat as much, I'm just afraid he may be a giant bully when he becomes that alpha fish, he can be a little relentless with the shyer discus!

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions!

The cleaner the water the faster they grow. A fast growth rate is desirable. Usually fast growing discus have a rounder shape, they out grow the juvenile 'pointy' nose. While stunted fish tend to have a more "triangular" nose for the remainder of their life.

Our water is very "clean", my husband is the plant man and makes sure the plants are well taken care of, which in turn ensures quality water. We've had Angels grow quickly, but our discus (the 2 we've had) haven't grown this quickly. I'll look forward to a happy, healthy tank! Any idea when these guys will start reaching maximum growth, when we'll have to consider a larger tank or separating them. I know discus do better in a group, is that true of mature discus, or just adolescent? Just trying to plan accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom