Fasting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitacrux

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've heard before that some people skip a day when feeding their fish. What are the benefits in only feeding 6 days a week? Any help or info you guys could offer is appreciated.

vitacrux said:
I've heard before that some people skip a day when feeding their fish. What are the benefits in only feeding 6 days a week? Any help or info you guys could offer is appreciated.

I read that skipping a day will clean the fish's intestinal tract, prevent bloating and constipation. Fish can go for a few days without eating. Fish in the wild don't eat everyday. It's the fish's instinct to eat as much as they can because they don't know when they are going to eat next. Most people just feed their fish once a day. Usually when you have juvies that you'll feed more than once a day to help with growth and will just feed once or twice a day when desired size is attained.

ITA, roy. I find that it is too easy for me to overfeed, so I only feed once a day and fast once a week. I think this is especially important for fish that are prone to bloat and constipation such as bettas and goldies. I also try to feed pea on the day before fasting day to make sure that they get "cleaned out"! LOL.

Okay thanks for the input. Would I see a rise in aggression among my cichlids? Or does it remain pretty even keel

Okay thanks for the input. Would I see a rise in aggression among my cichlids? Or does it remain pretty even keel

Nothing should change with their behavior skipping a feeding. Fish in the wild don't have the luxury of being fed daily and can easily go for weeks without food. So a day certainly won't hurt our spoiled rotten fish.

Back
Top Bottom