Fat Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rutipz2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
both my angels are about two years old. one of them for the past several months has had an ever-growning abdomen. He just keeps getting fatter. I can pretty much rule out dropsy as he is showing no indications of poor health. My lfs has suggested constipation could be the key. Tried feeding peas. I have to believe constipation would have killed him by now.

Is he JUST FAT, or should I be concerned?

I'm sorry to say but it is probably dropsy or asesites(?) my goldies behaviour didn't change until she was about 3-4 months into her illness.

Ascites is the proper spelling *grins at Capt* Its another term for dropsy, which is a pooling of fluid in the abdominal cavity. Generally caused by internal organ failure; usually the kidneys as they flush extra fluid out of the fish's body.

There are a number of causes of a swollen abdomen as you have already guessed. Dropsy, constipation, tumors, and the fish may also be swollen with eggs. Can you get a pic of the fish so we can see?

Back
Top Bottom