Favorite South American Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carlos_421

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I currently have a 30g South American (mostly, still working on it) with rams, tetras, angelfish etc. and I'm loving it!!

Someday in the future, however, when my budget and space allow I would like to get a larger tank with some of the larger cichlids. I think I'd like to have a Tiger Oscar as the centerpiece with some other 6-10" cichlids. This got me to thinking of what else I would like to have in there. I'm really liking black convicts a lot and there are several others that I think are very cool.

So on that note, what are YOUR favorites? Maybe they'll make my list of potential stock for my future tank but even if not I would still like to learn about other cichlids and see what your favorites are.

All of them!!! I need more tanks :D. My top 5 in order would be

1. Firemouths
2. Jaguar
3. German Blue Rams
4. Jack Dempsey
5. Oscar

I also love the way texas cichlids look but I here they are one of the nastiest so I most likely wont own one.

1. Firemouths
2. Jaguar
3. German Blue Rams
4. Jack Dempsey
5. Oscar

I also love the way texas cichlids look but I here they are one of the nastiest so I most likely wont own one.

They are very mean. I had one in a 125g with a single Oscar and he tore the Oscar to pieces

1. Firemouths
2. Jaguar
3. German Blue Rams
4. Jack Dempsey
5. Oscar

Just a heads up, firemouths, jags, and JDs are all Central American, not south ;)

As far as new world go here is a good list of awesome larger ones.
Chocolate Cichlid
Oscars
Jack Dempsey
Green Terror
Jaguar Cichlid
Midas Cichlid
Blue Acara
Red Devil
Severums

Lets say you go get a 125 you could keep an Oscar with one of pretty much anything on this list except for Midas, red devil, and jaguar cichlids those are all to aggressive for an Oscar.

Just a heads up, firemouths, jags, and JDs are all Central American, not south ;)

Yeah I know. Usually when people ask this they mean new world cichlids so I assumed.

But in that case to be more accurate I would change my answer to

1. German Blue Rams
2. Sevrums
3. Oscars.

Back
Top Bottom