Feasible 10g set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DirtyTankMan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Are there any possible chiclids (most likely new worlds) that can be/are commonly kept in a ten gallon tank? Have an empty ten sitting around and I am just looking for ideas..

DirtyTankMan said:
Are there any possible chiclids (most likely new worlds) that can be/are commonly kept in a ten gallon tank? Have an empty ten sitting around and I am just looking for ideas..

I don't think so, but I know you can keep shell dweller cichlids in a ten g

You could do single pair of Apistogramma in a 10, though it would need to be cycled 1st before putting them in.

Borderlesscott said:
You could do single pair of Apistogramma in a 10, though it would need to be cycled 1st before putting them in.

Is say a 10g is a bit small for a pair of apistos

George9 said:
Is say a 10g is a bit small for a pair of apistos

+1

You could have a younger pair in there but you'd need a plan to move them as they get older. A 20g Long will suffice though.

Shell Dwelling Cichlids are a great choice for a 10g. They will reproduce, have great behavior, and generally be awesome all around.

Nonsense, I know breeders in the British Cichlid Association who have kept and breed Apistogramma's for years - a 20 gallon long would do a group of 6 cacatuoides, a single pair would do fine in 35 litre as long as the water quality is kept in good shape.

Nonsense, I know breeders in the British Cichlid Association who have kept and breed Apistogramma's for years

There is a huge difference in practices between breeders and hobbyist. Most hobbyist are looking at long term care rather than short term profits, plus breeders keep them in small tanks so they can accomodate more tanks to produce more fry to sell. So what breeders do doesn't mean anything to me. I'm ranked very high in our clubs breeder program and don't condone anyone who practices that type of program.

I agree keeping a pair of apistios in a 10g is not a good idea.

Last edited:
Without getting into a whole argument, i don't know a single breeder in the UK who breeds apistogramma's for profit, they do it out of pure love of the spieces and to preserve a lot of endangered apisto's that are under threat in there natural habitat and without them putting in a lot of hard work many of the apisto's that are avilable today in the UK and Europe would not be avilable to the hobbyist to enjoy at home. These guys take the outmost care of there fish some of which travel to South America to see the natural habitat of the apistogramma and the trouble some of the species is in. I for one would not call this bad practise, but each to their own and everyone has their own opinion especially when animal welfare is concerned.

Everything I have read says again a minimum of 20g. Doesn't mean you can't do it in a 10g. But the margin of error is much smaller.

*EDIT* keep in mind that Rams like to be in pairs more than alone. Which would lead me to say no. Look into Shell Dwellers! They're so cool!

I would say no on this one, Bolivian,s get big for Dwarf Cichlids. Saying that I have read on another post the legendary Takashi Amano has a 10g with 4 GBR in it, so what do I know.

Borderlesscott said:
I would say no on this one, Bolivian,s get big for Dwarf Cichlids. Saying that I have read on another post the legendary Takashi Amano has a 10g with 4 GBR in it, so what do I know.

Haha Yeah but you gotta through out the rules when it comes to Amano. That man is a god.

Back
Top Bottom