Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Feed Central American cichlids

Does anyone have any suggestions on commercial staple diets. I was looking at Spectrum for my Jack Dempsey and Convicts. They seem to be getting bored with Hikari cichlid gold. I'd like to switch it up now and then. I do feed a variety of treat foods 4-6 times a month, such as earthworm, frozen krill, clams, blood worm, wax worm, crickets. Also I keep feedings to every other day, since my fish are adult stage. They have nice coloring and are healthy in appearance. Just seem bored with the current staple.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdempsey1980 View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on commercial staple diets. I was looking at Spectrum for my Jack Dempsey and Convicts. They seem to be getting bored with Hikari cichlid gold. I'd like to switch it up now and then. I do feed a variety of treat foods 4-6 times a month, such as earthworm, frozen krill, clams, blood worm, wax worm, crickets. Also I keep feedings to every other day, since my fish are adult stage. They have nice coloring and are healthy in appearance. Just seem bored with the current staple.
I feed my 9.5" jag a mixture of NLS, Omega 1, and hikari carnivore pellets with mysis shrimp or krill once a week for a treat... maybe add NLS or Omega 1 to their diet, nothing wrong with variety as long as you're feeding high quality foods.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

NLS ? Not familiar with this abbreviation
Old 01-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
NLS ? Not familiar with this abbreviation
New Life Spectrum
Old 01-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Face palm !! Sorry that was obvious and I didn't pickup on it.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I fed mine NLS and hikari bio gold as a staple and threw in frozen mysis or bloodworms once a week.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hey guys,
I have another question. My pair of Dempseys seems to have become ok with each other. Question is this, why does the female seem to just follow the male around all the time ? At feeding time she just stays by his side. I've never actually seen her eat anything at all.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh, almost forgot she's been in the tank for 2weeks now and she is still alive and very healthy looking in appearance. So should I be that worried about it ?
Old 01-15-2014, 04:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Hey guys,
I have another question. My pair of Dempseys seems to have become ok with each other. Question is this, why does the female seem to just follow the male around all the time ? At feeding time she just stays by his side. I've never actually seen her eat anything at all.
If they have paired up then I'm sure that's why she doesn't leave the males side. As for not eating, have u tried dropping her any frozen krill since u got her? The longest I've gone without feeding my jag is about 1 week and that was when I was switching pellets and trying to get him on NLS. While he seemed to be more picky with his food when he was smaller, he has never turned down frozen krill or frozen mysis shrimp. Try both of those, if she doesn't take either of them then I'd probably start thinking that something may be wrong... Although I think I've heard when fish are in breeding mode, that the female sometimes will go a while without food.

Tags
american, cichlid, cichlids, feed, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com