Feeder Shrimp First Feeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what do they look like..? ho many do you get..? 1 gup for 2 cich..?

I put 30 feeders and 15 ghost shrimp in my tank at the same time, and the 20 juvie cichlids I have had eaten all of them within 3 hours. A few shrimp will hide, and a few guppies will be extra fast and may get away for a while, but at night they will probably be eaten. Be mindful that any dead bodies just laying in your tank will add to the ammonia, so keep an eye out for fish they have killed but haven't eaten. My filter normally grabs them, and I'll turn down the flow and shake the bodies loose into a net then toss them. But to answer your question, 2-3 feeders per cichlid. They should be very small fish though. 1/2-1 inch in size for the most part. Ask the person at your LFS to show you the feeder guppies.

I put 30 feeders and 15 ghost shrimp in my tank at the same time, and the 20 juvie cichlids I have had eaten all of them within 3 hours. A few shrimp will hide, and a few guppies will be extra fast and may get away for a while, but at night they will probably be eaten. Be mindful that any dead bodies just laying in your tank will add to the ammonia, so keep an eye out for fish they have killed but haven't eaten. My filter normally grabs them, and I'll turn down the flow and shake the bodies loose into a net then toss them. But to answer your question, 2-3 feeders per cichlid. They should be very small fish though. 1/2-1 inch in size for the most part. Ask the person at your LFS to show you the feeder guppies.

awesome, i have about 20 mbuna and afra in my tank, i bought 15 feeders just to try em out, but ill definitely be getting them about 30-40 feeders now maybe 10 guppies in that number, and ill ask today, how long should i fast them after a good feeding? 24hrs..? 48hrs..?

Honestly I wouldn't feed them feeder guppies they can carry disease and can make any type of cichlid very sick. I would just keep feeding ghost shrimp once a week since these little guys are super healthy if fed the right amount to Africans. Also I have heard they can't pass disease to fish not 100% on that one but it could be true.

Honestly I wouldn't feed them feeder guppies they can carry disease and can make any type of cichlid very sick. I would just keep feeding ghost shrimp once a week since these little guys are super healthy if fed the right amount to Africans. Also I have heard they can't pass disease to fish not 100% on that one but it could be true.

Right about the disease thing though. I'm thinking I'll set up a breeding tank for feeders. It would save money in the long run.

Right about the disease thing though. I'm thinking I'll set up a breeding tank for feeders. It would save money in the long run.

That is true bud, but at $.33 each 20 of once every 2wks isn't bad at all, I like the breeder tank idea though.

Ya i think 2 times a month would be ok.

So what about fasting, I did it for 24hrs then have em regular pellets, should a wait a little longer..? I only have em about 15 shrimp an I have 20 cichlids and some of the bigger guys got more than one shrimp.

That's sounds fine to me. It just gives them time to digest the shrimp and no get built up.

I did notice the smaller ones had the shrimp half in their mouths forever lol idk if they bit off more than they could chew literally or they were just calling them theirs

Back
Top Bottom