Feeding African Mbuna Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandonv26

Aquarium Advice Regular
What are some of the best foods to feed them? I have read alot that you should feed them a variety of foods, is a couple ok or should it be more? How often should you feed them and how much per feeding?

I have never agreed with the whole variety thing, many many years ago in a galaxy far far away it was important because many commercial foods didn't offer proper nutrition but with some and I stress some feeding their foods exclusively far exceeds the dietary needs of fish. The variety thing is one of those old school myths that simply won't die and is regurgitated on aquarium forums.

I feed my fish a few hours prior to the lights going out, in my opinion it's never a good idea to feed your fish then black out the room. This can effect digestion since the fish start to shut down, it's like eating a whole apple pie then immediately going to sleep(we all know this is bad, same goes for fish). I generally feed around 30-45 seconds, then over the course of a few weeks monitor the appearence of the fish and adjust the levels. Don't try to make sure everyone gets their fare share like humans some will be more aggressive and if try to make sure the thinner ones gets food you'll simply just overfed everyone else.

I've been feeding New Life Spectrum exclusively for years with incredible success but have recently switched over to Repashy gel foods for my fish room. I believe the ingredients are just as good as NLS but the delivery system is absolutely the best way to feed.

Repashy Superfoods :: RETAIL :: By Product Name :: Soilent Green Gel :: Soilent Green 16 oz BAG - Repashy Ventures - Distributor Center

Last edited:
brandonv26 said:
What are some of the best foods to feed them? I have read alot that you should feed them a variety of foods, is a couple ok or should it be more? How often should you feed them and how much per feeding?

I feed my cichlids exclusively new life spectrum 3mm pellets. They do great on it

Is there enough spirulina in that type of food then that there is no need to suplement them with it with flakes?

I agree with HUKIT 100% NLS and Respashy is the way to go! There's no need to feed 800 different type foods, All my cichlids NLS Thera-A 1mm pellets, any small fish like my endlers/barbs get NLS small fish formula, the Plecos/Shrimp NLS h2o stable algae wafers.

I will be trying Respashy here soon especially for shrimp, Plecos and baby fish.

Back
Top Bottom