Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Jramatized
Feeding Cichlids

I just got these 2 products OMEGA ONE Super color pellets and Supper Veggie KELP FLAKES and was wondering if any of you have had good results with them? Im trying to give the cichlids a verity. I also have frozen bloodworms and cichlid sticks and regular flake food. I got the veggie b/c I hear they get protein bloat easily? And also read that you are supposed to not feed them 1 day a week. Is this true? If so what for? There is also a black ghost knife in the tank with them that is getting along fine with them for now. I have another tank for it if not, but I specifically feed it the frozen blood worms. Which the cichlids will also eat. So I wont be able to skip a day, and worried of them getting too much protein. Any ideas for me to feed them these foods on a healthy weekly schedule would be appreciated

Old 12-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Overfeeding cichlids can cause disease problems. Google "malawi bloat".

Don't feed mbuna cichlids bloodworms.

A one day a week break helps their digestive system process all the food. It is a precaution against bloat.

Bloat in fish is not the same as feeling bloated after a couple of pints of beer. It is a disease.

Food preferences is a consideration when choosing tankmates. I don't know about knife fish at all so can't really help.

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, feeding, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com