Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
come get me tang police!

Feeding festae juvies, anyone try kens yet?

Hey guys, I have a half dozen f1 festae juvies and was wondering if anyone has tried out kensfish's ultimate mini cichlid sticks?

Here's the link.

Ken's Ultimate Mini Cichlid Sticks

The ingredient list looks nice, so I'm going to give it a go, but was just curious if anyone has tried it yet.

Quote:
Ingredients: salmon fish meal, dried brine-shrimp, freeze dried krill, freeze dried plankton, brewers yeast, soy flour, gluten flour. Dried spirulina, beef heart, chicken liver, garlic powder, paprika powder, earthworm powder, lecithin. Following vitamin supplements: a, d-3, b1, b12 & biotin. Probiotics (aid in digestion) all natural ingredients, no preservatives. Some coloring. Double stabilized vitamin ďcĒ dried bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried bacillus licheniformis fermentation

Guaranteed Analysis: crude protein 44.0% min., crude fat 3.0% min., crude fiber 3.0% max., moisture 8.0% max.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd skip the Kens and just use NLS grow and Thera-A. I've used Kens and it was just ok. The fact that food uses land proteins bothers me to, little absorption and allot of mess.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogurako View Post
I'd skip the Kens and just use NLS grow and Thera-A. I've used Kens and it was just ok. The fact that food uses land proteins bothers me to, little absorption and allot of mess.
Agreed Whats missing from The Kens ingredient list is the word "Whole"
I.E Whole fish meal which means the whole of the fish is used and not just the scales etc.
NLS is about as good as it gets!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

NLS all the way!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nls the one and only food you should feed
Old 07-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
come get me tang police!

Is this a NLS commercial? Lol. I've used NLS for about 4 years now and I like it. I know it works great as a staple food and I've recommended it time and again. I'm not convinced that it's magic in a tub, but I've never had any complaints.

That said, I wasn't asking about NLS so I'm not sure why there's a bandwagon going here. I do appreciate the input, though.

Mo have you used this formula by chance? The land protein thing I've gone back and forth on, I know it's not natural for fish to eat beefheart and whatnot but that doesn't stop the most serious of discus and angelfish keepers from feeding it during juvenile phases. I'd like to see some data on the benefit because some people swear by it.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
I haven't had experience with that particular ken's food, but in general I have had great luck with his line. The food I've bought is good quality and a great price (it takes YEARS to get through a veggie sticks bag in a shrimp tank). So, while it's apparently no NLS (I have no idea, I've never gotten NLS =P) I think it's still a good choice.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post

Mo have you used this formula by chance? The land protein thing I've gone back and forth on, I know it's not natural for fish to eat beefheart and whatnot but that doesn't stop the most serious of discus and angelfish keepers from feeding it during juvenile phases. I'd like to see some data on the benefit because some people swear by it.
Yes I've used that formula when I was growing out my V. argentea and I didn't observe any benefits from it after a few months so I went back to NLS. I've also used the veggie sticks and I must say I wasn't impressed with how quickly they break down and expand, lots of fillers.

Tags
feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com