Feeding Fish While away on Vacation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone, I am going away on vacation sometime this year and need to have a feeder for my South American cichlids for 2 weeks. (70gallon understocked) These fish tend to get swim bladder disease fairly easily so I need the food to sink or be wet. Does anyone have experience with this also I can anyone recommend any automatic feeders (cost is not an issue, anything for my fish)

Thanks in advance!!

Cic...

I don't keep Cichlids, but I can tell you what I did the last time I went on vacation. A week or so before I left, I started feeding the fish a little more and more often. A day before leaving, I stopped feeding and did a larger than normal water change. From the normal 50 percent to 60 percent. I did a good job of vacuuming the bottom material too.

I had someone come in every couple of days, just to check to make sure everything was running, but I put all the food away. I didn't want anyone else to feed my fish. Everything went well. The fish lived off their small fat reserve from the added food and I came home to a clean tank.

Here's the deal: Aquarium fish can easily go a couple of weeks without food. So, you really don't need to have someone feed them while you're gone. The auto feeders aren't worth the money and could malfunction.

Just have someone check the mechanics of the tank, but no feeding. You'll be glad you kept things simple.

B

But u can buy holiday food from pet store. Why need to starve fish?

Cichlids can get pissy if underfed.. do you have a friend or someone that can come by every 3 days? Leave pre measured portions with specific instructions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cichlids can get pissy if underfed.. do you have a friend or someone that can come by every 3 days? Leave pre measured portions with specific instructions.

I always do but this time I don't. So I feel my other best option is a feeder but I don't know which to get I am willing to get the best.

I use an eheim, it's a little annoying to program but it works just fine.

I use an eheim, it's a little annoying to program but it works just fine.

Which eheim cause I tried one and don't like it. Also to prevent swim bladder I always wet my food do you have any suggestions for cichlids in this case.

Sounds like you need human help.

They do work. Buy which says holiday food and of good company. U will be good.

They do work. Buy which says holiday food and of good company. U will be good.

Those feeder blocks are crap.. I've never heard a single positive review (never searched one out)

I didn't try myself but I saw one at pet store. I believe if there is no other solution then why not try atleast.

Back
Top Bottom