Feeding my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was feeding 2 times a day and was having same problem lots of poop. I have a silica sand substrate so it would look bad even a day after wc. I cut back to once a day and I skip 1 day a week. It has made a big difference in the amount of waste.

I put mine on a diet a couple of days ago and I also have noticed a LOT less poop in the tank. I think I'll keep the once a day feeding.

How many times a day are you guys feeding?
I was doing twice a day for 30 (mbuna,haps, peacocks) in a 180g tank.
2 power heads do a good job to spread the 1mm pellets and I see all get some.

The amount that you are feeding once a day- do 1/2 in the morning & the other half in the evening. Ex. 50 pellets .....25 in the morning 25 in the evening.

Question to you guys with big aquariums. Why are you guys feeding 1mm pellet for such big fish?

The amount that you are feeding once a day- do 1/2 in the morning & the other half in the evening. Ex. 50 pellets .....25 in the morning 25 in the evening.

Question to you guys with big aquariums. Why are you guys feeding 1mm pellet for such big fish?

is that because it is better to do multiple feedings a day?

As to why 1mm pellets, in my case, most of my fish are under 4 inches.
is there a rule of thumb for when to switch to bigger size pellets?

I now do both and have much less concern about their feeding. I thought 3 would be too big. Still not certain that it isn't as I see a lot of the fish pop it back out. But all the fish seem satisfied now.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

is that because it is better to do multiple feedings a day?

I believe so..... It made help with aggression as well. Not sure if their is a rule or thumb or not. I also have juvi pellet if you wanna call them that, but wont feed that to the cichlids unless they are under 1in. 1mm -1in.... 2mm 2in. 3mm 3in...maybe we could look at it like that. If you watch the video you see these guys have no problem in taking down a 3mm pellet.

I'll get some 3mm and try that.
problem is, I have like 1200gm of 1mm pellets. 1 can is sealed so I might be able to trade it for 3mm.

I have 2270 gm. It's a sunk cost.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nothing wrong with it....Just keep feeding till it's gone, Ace.

Mmm... I could not find 3mm Cichlid pellets from NSL. what up?

I don't know much about African cichlids but I can say that 3mm pellets would definitely be too large for any 3-4" central or south american cichlid. If your fish keep spitting out pellets or they can't eat a pellet within about 5 seconds or so, I'd say it's too big. My 10" Jag and 6" Red Isletas both get 3mm NLS pellets and don't have to chew and don't waste any out their gills. I think 1-2mm pellets would work just fine for any fish til they hit around the 6" range. And if certain fish aren't getting enough food, feed a little extra each time and spread it out over the whole length of the tank.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom