Feeding my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acejock999

Aquarium Advice Regular
First a few descriptive notes: I have about 30 fish in total in a 180 tank.

18 are 4-5 inch haps and peacocks. 6 are 3 inch haps and peacocks.
7 are 1.75-2 inch mbuna.

The smaller fish are new additions to the tank. I have been worried about them getting enough to eat add my bigger fish seem to muscle them out of the way at feeding time. Today I did something different. I fed the fish until the big ones left on their own which allowed the smaller fish to finally eat. This seemed like a lot of food. I feed exclusively 1 mm NLS cichlid pellets. I would say usually I put maybe 3 or 4 pinches in but tonight I put easily twice that. I spaced them out and only added more when the food was gone. None was wasted to either the floor or the overflow filter. And it seems like everyone was happily fed.

Does this seem like too much? I'm really concerned about the mbunas not getting anything since they are the smallest. I know that they can graze on algae, but my tank doesn't have a lot of that either.

Any thoughts?

Here is a picture of the tank and fish just to give you an idea of what I'm working with.

Mbuna are on lower left.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1395626602825.jpg
    1395626602825.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 176
I was hoping someone would comment on this because I struggle with the same type of thing. I feel like some of my smaller fish miss out at feeding time and sometimes I think I'm over feeding to try and make sure they get some.

I have 3 different NLC & this is what works for me. I have, 1mm 2mm & 3mm. When dropping the 3mm the big guns will take one or two or more sometimes and move on. Then 2mm will cover most and the 1mm if needed. I have small yellow Juvi from my last batch. They feed off what the others puff out which is enough for them. There is also a 4mm or 4.5mm for your bigger fish and that should help aid across the board. The 1mm isnt cutting it IMHO

Rare , that is a good idea. I may go to 2mm. Seems like 3pm might be too big.

Thanks for the great advice.

Trust me it's not big. The yellow labs are hogs and they can take 2+ pellets in there mouth. You have big fish compared to mine I will go as big as the 4.5mm. Let me see if I can take a video of the guys eating. I will give them a snack since I give them their meals in the late afternoon. This will give you a better idea.....

Nice work on your aquarium and fish, Ace!

A bit dark since the shades were still up when i came home early & didnt flip on the 2 light switch but you can see how fast these guys eat/stuffed the 3mm like nothing. At 1:50 for a short few sec's that yellow is holding, not stuffed with pellet.

Ace-NLC 3mm Pellet - YouTube

Love the music!! My fish have never been that content after feeding. I am going to get some 3mm right away. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

No problem, Ace. One other way I do it from time to time is to have the powerhead running and drop the pellets in front of it.. This spreads out the pellets all over. I'm using the Jeabo40 wavemaker & it's pretty strong & does a good job to spread it out.

How large is your tank? I have a 180 gallon and I took out my wave maker. Usually the fish consume the food before it disperses. I ordered the big bucket of 3mm last night from amazon. $61!

130g. I like the Jebao wp40 as it doesnt let their poop sit anywhere for too long at the bottom when i use wave mode. I might do two wp40 or wp40 and a wp25. On wave mode which is where it is at. I will see their poop floating, i take the net and scoop it out. Also, the amount of water it's turning over is awesome. The more I keep looking at the 130g, the more I say it wont be long before i get a larger aquarium. Not even done with my stock list on fish.

Man got the bigger food. These greedy fish just hoarded the food. Stuffed it into their mouths. Then had to spit it out to breathe or whatever. Just crazy.

First a few descriptive notes: I have about 30 fish in total in a 180 tank.

18 are 4-5 inch haps and peacocks. 6 are 3 inch haps and peacocks.
7 are 1.75-2 inch mbuna.

The smaller fish are new additions to the tank. I have been worried about them getting enough to eat add my bigger fish seem to muscle them out of the way at feeding time. Today I did something different. I fed the fish until the big ones left on their own which allowed the smaller fish to finally eat. This seemed like a lot of food. I feed exclusively 1 mm NLS cichlid pellets. I would say usually I put maybe 3 or 4 pinches in but tonight I put easily twice that. I spaced them out and only added more when the food was gone. None was wasted to either the floor or the overflow filter. And it seems like everyone was happily fed.

Does this seem like too much? I'm really concerned about the mbunas not getting anything since they are the smallest. I know that they can graze on algae, but my tank doesn't have a lot of that either.

Any thoughts?

Here is a picture of the tank and fish just to give you an idea of what I'm working with.

Mbuna are on lower left.

Beautiful fish...lovely colour?

Man got the bigger food. These greedy fish just hoarded the food. Stuffed it into their mouths. Then had to spit it out to breathe or whatever. Just crazy.

LOL! Did the smaller guys get any?

Well the big fish did vacate which left the way clear for the smaller guys but they went chasing after the bigger pellets that the big fish were expelling. It was quite humorous. The 1 mm were just floating till the big fish saw them and went after them also which made them spit out more of the 3mm.

Personally I don't worry about It and I've never had an issue with someone not getting food. If they are hungry enough they will find it. I feed on one side of the tank and then the other side almost at the same time. It may help to buy some sinking pellets if that's not what you already have

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the reply Andrew. I must say I'm less concerned now. Seems like the little fish are fighting more for the big nuggets. Tank seems happier now.

I soak some pellets in tank water for my smaller fish, its easier for them to eat the pellets when they are soft.

How many times a day are you guys feeding?
I was doing twice a day for 30 (mbuna,haps, peacocks) in a 180g tank.
2 power heads do a good job to spread the 1mm pellets and I see all get some.
I noticed LOTS of poop, so I decided to feed once a day.
Another member mentioned feeding every other day to reduce the amount of poop.

Thoughts?

I was feeding 2 times a day and was having same problem lots of poop. I have a silica sand substrate so it would look bad even a day after wc. I cut back to once a day and I skip 1 day a week. It has made a big difference in the amount of waste.

Back
Top Bottom