Feeding peacock cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kab2409

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got two peacock cichlids today. I'm new to cichlids but I've done a lot of research. I just can't seem to find a clear answer on what to feed them and I don't trust the lfs. I did buy cichlid pellets and I already have good quality flake food for my community tank. Also have algae tabs for my otos. I also can't get a definite answer on if they're omnivores, herbivores, or carnivores. Whats the best food? Are they carnivores, omnivores, or herbivores?

New life spectrum cichlid pellets are the best imo. I have a hap/peacock tank and it covers all bases for there need and keeps them colored up good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If he doesn't respond to this, maybe PM the user Popparyno. He used to have some absolutely incredible peacock cichlids, line bred them for like a decade or something. He'd know the best food for them.

Something else that should be addressed is you shouldn't have just two peacocks. They live in groups and establish a pecking order. With just two one will beat the other to death. You will start to see lots of chasing if it hasn't already started. I recommend minimum group of 5.

cichlids are herbivoures

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Many african cichlids are herbivores... but many cichlids are not. Pike cichlids, oscars, peacock bass, angelfish, altolamprologus compressiceps are primarily carnivorous... to name a few.

I just got two peacock cichlids today. I'm new to cichlids but I've done a lot of research. I just can't seem to find a clear answer on what to feed them and I don't trust the lfs. I did buy cichlid pellets and I already have good quality flake food for my community tank. Also have algae tabs for my otos. I also can't get a definite answer on if they're omnivores, herbivores, or carnivores. Whats the best food? Are they carnivores, omnivores, or herbivores?

+1 on keeping them in groups, and I'd recommend getting some Omega cichlids pellets, manly the African ones. And peacock cichlids are insectivores.

Sent via echolocation

Back
Top Bottom