feeding smaller cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haleybeth30

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I saw someone else ask, and thought.. good question. I have a jack dempsey, around 2 in., and my firemouth and jewel are both around 1 in. I've been giving them small cichlid flakes, Cobalt, for now. When I run out I will get some NLS, I have larger peacocks too. Anyway NLS seemed to only come in pellet form at my LFS? So what should I get for these smaller guys? I'm just slightly leery of pellets after losing a fishy couple wks after giving pellets of not the best product.. Any suggestions on their diet? thanks!

NLS makes flake too but I wouldn't use that as a staple, I use it a couple times a week in conjunction with pellets. They make a .5mm "Small fish formula" which I feed to everything 2" and under. The rest of my fish get NLS 1mm Thera-A ,I have had no issues feeding these pellets. To date I have had not lost any of my livestock do to food related issues since switching to NLS.

thanks, cool, I believe HUKIT mentioned my flake brand was "decent" would it be a good idea to grab the NLS now and maybe give flakes one day, pellets the next (I'm also afraid of overfeeding)

Cobalt is a decent flake use it until its gone then switch to NLS. I feed a small amount twice a day on NLS pellets, did the same when I had my Haps, that's mainly because I wanted them to grow out. I have scaled back to once a day now however. I would feed flake 1-2 times a week.

even your larger fish get the 1mm, noted =) so for a while I should have my jack eat the smallest, was it .5? until they are all 2 in. and then go with the 1mm for them

They will be able to take the 1mm. I feed 1" cichlids the 1mm. Like the above said feed off the rest of your cobalt then buy 1mm nls Cichlid formula or Thera a

I guess I should have specified my apologies, I have allot of livebearers and the smaller of those get the .5mm. The larger fish and my cichlids get the 1mm, your cichlids should be fine with the 1mm. However if you notice that they are having to "chew" the pellets and see lots of bits of food coming from their mouth and gills then the 1mm is to large for them to swallow whole and is creating allot of waste. So in that instance they should be fed the .5mm.

Back
Top Bottom