Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2015, 08:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Feeding timid fish?

Hey guys, hope you dont mind this being posted here. Figured since these guys behave different when feeding then my old fish, that i might get better answers here. New to the cichlid world and the proud parent of a newly setup 75 gallon tank and some young cichlids! I have 4 Acei and 5 yellow labs, all a bit under 2". Since introducing the labs in with the Acei, they have tended to be timid and with the Acei running around, its been hard to get them food. Been feeding what they finish in 30 seconds, and i find its best to dump the majority in at once so its scattered and the aceis cant snatch them up first. My food seems to float at the top unless i put it in the HOB filter output to shoot it in, so ive been doing that. But when i put my hand over the tank the yellow labs all hide instantly and have been missing feeding time as a result. I definately dont want to overfeed the Acei trying to get some to the labs.

Do you guys have any advice or tricks that youve found to make sure the less aggresive eaters get some? I figure once theyre hungry enough that theyll come out regardless, but wouldnt that stunt their growth and overall not be so good for them? No aggresion issues really, its just that they hide and the Acei are very active swimmers vs the labs who just kinda hangout when they are out and around the tank. I think its because ive been messing with the tank too much since i just got my 75 gallon setup :/ Does it take much for them to warm up to me and not be so worried when i reach up there?

Tags
feed, feeding, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com