Female cockatoo perching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kribensis_2004

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a female cockatoo cichlid that seems to have a problem swimming (she still does swim). When she comes in contact with the décor it's almost like she perches on it with her pectoral fins. It is like gobie or blenny type of perch, she lands with her pectoral fins out stretched then brings them back in for the full landing. She is also swimming at a weird angel and I am wondering if any one of you people know what might be happening with her. Try to get video later of what I am talking about.

Sounds like a swim bladder problem. Sometimes those problems are brought on by constipation, so it's best to hold off feeding for a few days. Internal parasites, or bacteria infections can also adversely affect the swim bladder. It's difficult to diagnose. Hopefully just constipation. I've had Columbian Tetras with similar problems in the past and actually lost a few to it. I'd been feeding them a subpar flake food, which might have been the cause.

When my dwarves do that I get my reading glasses and look for camellanus worms

No she seems okay but for the fact that she's perching, on what ever she can find and lay on. So I am trying I guess to figure out if she is trying to tell her mate that she is ready to spawn again. (and he's just not taking the hint)
The aquarium doesn't seem to have any type of worm in it, the other three cockatoo's seem to be doing great, (one her mate, one there offspring and the other female) and are swimming with no difficulty's.

Back
Top Bottom