female convict not being herself today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pookie71384

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had this female convict for about a week and a couple of days now...ever since I got her she's been very active...swimming up down and all around...but today she hasn't come out of her cave all day...just the other night I did feed her a lot...her stomach was swollen...could that be it?...she shows no signs off stress...her fins aren't clamped...she doesn't appear to be breathing hard either...does anyone have an idea of what can possibly be wrong with her???

I would check your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels. Just In case. Has it been awhile since a water change?

If the water is fine, it sounds like the convict could be constipated. What type of food were you feeding?

You can treat using 1 teaspoon of epsom salt for every 5 gallons of water. You should see results in a day or two. So 5 teaspoons (not tablespoons) for your tank. Dissolve in a cup of tank water before adding.

my last water change was on the 11th...water looks very clear...and to be honest with you I never paid any mind to ph and all that other stuff...I've had tanks since I was very young and whatever kind of fish I had did very well...some die like all fish do in this hobby but a simple water change was all I did and I've never had a problem with my fish...I think she might be constipated too lol...I hope she lets loose soon lol

yeah...she's doing better and being herself...I did another water change...took about three or four gallons over water out and put clean water...I guess that's what she needed...I don't understand though because I did a water change just four days ago...I just bought a yellow lab cichlid today...there doing good with each other

Back
Top Bottom