Female Krib Cichlids tail is split down the middle and isn't healing back.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColemAnthony1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a female Krib Cichlid about 3 months ago and when I bought her I noticed she had a split in her tail. It's kind of V shaped. I figured it would grow back and heal itself but it's not. Anybody know what's going on? Will it ever grow back?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436728263.437817.jpg

Sorry the pictures kinda blurry. It was the best I could get. She didn't want to hold still.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hm odd, my initial impression was an intentional cut but it could just be an old accident.
If she doesn't seem bothered by it, gets enough food and just seems happy in general I personally wouldn't pay any mind to it.
It might heal it may not, again doesn't seem like anything to worry about...
*edit* upon further review of the picture I noticed the dorsal fin has some damage too, could be from aggression from another tank mate possibly?

Yah, she gets scrappy with my fairy Cichlid at times, but she is dominant over pretty much the entire tank. I was just curious as to why it never grew back like I thought it would when I bought her. It's not hurting her at all though.

It won't grow back, too far down.

A fairy cichlids, neolamprologus brichardi, is not a good tank mate for a kris fyi

Well good thing I don't have a kris. ;) just kidding. They don't bother each other unless my Krib swims into the fairy's cave. It's not near bad enough that I would have to separate one from the tank though.

Back
Top Bottom