Female Peacock Holding Unfertilised Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Frank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
I have a female Peacock Cichlid holding unfertilised eggs and was wondering what I should do. She is the only fish in the tank and has been holding for one day already.

Any response will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank.IMG_2606.jpg

My guess is that she will either discard the eggs or eat them.

I've had females do this before when I had them in a separate tank to long with fry she recently spit. As stated above, she will spit them or swallow them, no need to do anything. Although if she's in a tank with fry, remove her or you could wake up to an almost empty tank. Again I had a female OB do this, kill almost all her previous fry after she dropped a bunch of unfertilized eggs. Many underestimate Female Cichlids, in my experience they are the only ones that have killed in my tanks. Mama Bear lives in them too.. lol

I've had females do this before when I had them in a separate tank to long with fry she recently spit. As stated above, she will spit them or swallow them, no need to do anything. Although if she's in a tank with fry, remove her or you could wake up to an almost empty tank. Again I had a female OB do this, kill almost all her previous fry after she dropped a bunch of unfertilized eggs. Many underestimate Female Cichlids, in my experience they are the only ones that have killed in my tanks. Mama Bear lives in them too.. lol

Thanks very much [emoji1303]

Back
Top Bottom