Female Peacocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelbaker79

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there any way to ID them? I have 3 females, all the same size, approx 3-4 inches. I rescued them from someone awhile back and he had no idea they were even peacocks...lol. They all look exactly the same, here are a couple photos:

ForumRunner_20120116_131748.jpg

ForumRunner_20120116_131811.jpg

Can't say for certain, but they do look rather similar to my eureka reds. Quite possibly Aulonocara jacobfrebergei, they're a popular species and there are several different color variants.

toddnbecka said:
Can't say for certain, but they do look rather similar to my eureka reds. Quite possibly Aulonocara jacobfrebergei, they're a popular species and there are several different color variants.

Ok, kind of a guessing game...not sure what to do with them? Lol. I would like to get a male for them but I don't know what to get!

Jmedic25 said:
Kel do you have thoes in with Mbuna? ...How are they doing if yes?

There is 1 yellow lab and 3 demasoni in that tank as far as mbuna, but, no problems! As of yet anyway...

Jmedic25 said:
how long has your tank been running? What size is the tank and fish?

Been up and running for about a year (different fish however). These guys have all been in there between 1 and 6 months. It's a 75 gallon tank with fish no larger than 3-4 inches. Why, what's up!

Stocking 3 demasoni is almost certain to end us as 1 demasoni that's killed the others sooner or later. Either keep 1 or keep 12, less than 10 is a recipe for disaster when they mature.

toddnbecka said:
Stocking 3 demasoni is almost certain to end us as 1 demasoni that's killed the others sooner or later. Either keep 1 or keep 12, less than 10 is a recipe for disaster when they mature.

I agree, I got them from someone who was getting rid of their tank, I'm adding 7 more this weekend :)

toddnbecka said:
Pity the peacocks then, 10 demasoni will drive them crazy. They're like 3-year-olds wired on caffeine.

I'm not pitying any of them, they all get along fine. Feel like I'm being harrassed here..lol! Most of my fish are "rescue missions" so I do the best I can with the tanks I've got. The yellow lab is being moved this weekend into the mbuna tank, when I get the rest of the demasoni, those guys are getting their own 70 gallon...I thought I was doing things right??? I was just questioning how to tell what the female peacocks are!

kelbaker79 said:
I'm not pitying any of them, they all get along fine. Feel like I'm being harrassed here..lol! Most of my fish are "rescue missions" so I do the best I can with the tanks I've got. The yellow lab is being moved this weekend into the mbuna tank, when I get the rest of the demasoni, those guys are getting their own 70 gallon...I thought I was doing things right??? I was just questioning how to tell what the female peacocks are!

You are doing right. Im sure he thought you had them together for the long haul. When I get my 220 I am going to turn my area 75 into a species only dem tank.
Idk much about female peacocks so no help there. Lol.

I have a couple that look similar to that. They were sold labeled as Sunburst Peacocks, but they seemd a bit too brownish to match what I see onlne of Sunburst Peacocks. I always thought they were Ruby Reds. As they have matured, one has begun to develop some blue around it's face. They are both nearly always frilled out fully.

Been up and running for about a year (different fish however). These guys have all been in there between 1 and 6 months. It's a 75 gallon tank with fish no larger than 3-4 inches. Why, what's up!

I Just really want some peacocks....I have 10 dems, 10 labs, 4 zebras now....But I want peacocks....I fear they would get hurt...

With mbuna's also in there it is a serious risk to the peacocks.It didn't work out for me and I had to return the peacocks :( but who knows maybe it will for you.

Back
Top Bottom