Female Red Top Zebra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WendiDell

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have a photo of a FEMALE Red Top Zebra? I've been searching for days:banghead: trying to find a photo of a female to show my LFS so they can order three female Red Tops for my Alpha Male Red Top.
We've had Charlie for 1yr. this month and every time we go to the LFS they never have any female red tops.
Matt our fish guy special ordered some for me and the idiot breeder sent 3 Red Zebras. So I figured I give them a pic. to look at so they will know they are sending the correct fish.
\Should be relatively simple, right? Nope. I can find a ton of things about breeding with a female, but not one single image of a female Red Top :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:.
It's making me crazier than I already am. please Charlie is lonely and is in desperate need of his own little harem :flowers:.
Thanks All!!!

What is the Scientifc name there are a few fish sold commonly under that name from Greshakei, Pyrsonotos, and Emmiltos?

I have one, but not sure of getting a picture... She has an area behind plants as " her" spot.... We call her blondie...

What is the Scientifc name there are a few fish sold commonly under that name from Greshakei, Pyrsonotos, and Emmiltos?

I don't know what the scientific name for my male Red Top is.
Here is are a couple of pics of Charlie, maybe you can tell by looking at him, which one he may be. I know you can't really tell about size in a pic. but Charlie is is almost 6" long at 1 yr. old & 1 3/4" Tall. He's a big boy and still growing but, his growth is finally slowing down.
His body is a beautiful medium Blue, that some times depending on his mood gets light blue. His tail & dorsal fins are a constant rich Rusty Red color. And his face is a very dark Blue, almost like a charcoal grey/blue.
Photo's don't always get all the coloring and details that are needed fir an ID.
I hope these will help somewhat.

Attachments

• Charlie being shy He's now the Alpha (Red Top Zebra).jpg
    Charlie being shy He's now the Alpha (Red Top Zebra).jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 275
nice fish, the orange fin and light blue body in the first pic kinda remind me of my hongi (see avatar)

They do look a lot a like. Although you can tell from the Pics. that Charlie's colors get lighter and darker all day long, depending on his mood.
Do you know their scientific name? Or have a pic. of what the female Red Top Zebra looks like?
I'm trying to get a few females for Charlie and the LFS special ordered 3 them of them for me and the breeder has now sent Red Zebras twice.
So now I'm looking for a photo that I can attach to the order. So I can get the females I actually need.

Here are a couple of pics. of a female that we thought was a Red Top. Now we aren't sure what she is, although she does look like the physical description of a female Greshakei.
I looked up pics. of the male Greshakei and they are similar but Charlie isn't ice blue, he's a darker blue even at his lightest color.
I read that there are several different kinds of Red Tops. That it depends mostly on where in lake Malawi they come from. I have no way of knowing, or finding out, something like that.

Attachments

• 5_12_2011 Charlize (2).JPG
    5_12_2011 Charlize (2).JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 193
They do look a lot a like. Although you can tell from the Pics. that Charlie's colors get lighter and darker all day long, depending on his mood.
Do you know their scientific name? Or have a pic. of what the female Red Top Zebra looks like?
I'm trying to get a few females for Charlie and the LFS special ordered 3 them of them for me and the breeder has now sent Red Zebras twice.
So now I'm looking for a photo that I can attach to the order. So I can get the females I actually need.

thats what happens with lab. hongi too, he turns from a darker colour to a lighter colour, and the orange colouring in his fins and forehead and the black lines between his eyes become a lot more prominent.

not saying your charlie is a hongi, but they have strong similarities

edit: added pic of hongi chillin' out

Attachments

• 100_4504.jpg
    100_4504.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 158
T
Yes I believe it is because I have a metriaclima gresheki and he looks way diffrent alsi known as ice blue zebra jere is a pic of mine

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110726_173233.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110726_173233.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 94
Back
Top Bottom