Festae Rescue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HUKIT

Aquarium Advice Addict
This weekend I rescued a larger 7-8" male festae with the intention to bring it to a friend with some tank space as I'm packed to the gills. So today I get a call he can't keep him so now he's back in my house. Currently he's sharing a 40 breeder with my hyper aggressive female, divided of course. The worst part of this he's in the beginning stages of HLLE, it's amazing someone can take a spectacular looking cichlid like this and treat him so poorly.I'm not sure if he'll stay since my female kills EVERYTHING she shares a tank with.

I'll post some pictures later after he settles down some.

wow! bit of drama there. thats a big festae, are you sure it wont handle the female? hey i trust your judgement, if that female is mean, you know what you're doing!
pics would be awesomes :)

If the female was already in the tank she may well kill him so the divider is a good idea.Ive read much about Festae and read Quite a few posts on here.There not called red terrors for nothing.

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
wow! bit of drama there. thats a big festae, are you sure it wont handle the female? hey i trust your judgement, if that female is mean, you know what you're doing!
pics would be awesomes :)

Anyone asking that question hasn't met HUKiT's female festae!

Anyone asking that question hasn't met HUKiT's female festae!

She's absolutely insane.

Well as so many fish with HLLE he's also showing signs of Hexamita, so now he's being treated with Metronidazole and Praziquental as well. Just keeps getting better and better.

If any one could fix him up, it would definitely be you HUKIT, he's in good hands now

Thanks but honestly I don't have faith he's going to pull through, you can ask 5x5 about treating Hex. I've got a tankful of wild caught Cryptoheros sajicas I euphanized this weekend after unsuccessfully treating them 12 times over the course of 3 months before throwing in the towel.

Then at least he'll finish out his life in the best possible care and won't be suffering like he would have been

A possible case of hex definitely puts a damper on the positive outlook. Then again, you've had success with curing Cutteri, so there's always hope.

Hex is really awful for those that haven't experienced it. It claimed my prize fish last month and it was terrible seeing the effects week after week before it finally killed her.

Well I'm afraid to say that the big male did not make it, he passed this today. It's a shame that someone could let a magnificent fish like this get to this point.

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear Hukit. At least you stepped up and tried to treat a poorly cared for fish.

Hex is really awful for those that haven't experienced it. It claimed my prize fish last month and it was terrible seeing the effects week after week before it finally killed her.

Amen to that.

One of the jags I used to have came to me with Hex. Once I finally got him cured (took forever by the way) poor guy looked like someone had been using a drill on his forehead. He was never the same either, turned meaner than a rattlesnake with someone standing on it's tail. Not something I ever want to go through again.

Back
Top Bottom