Fieldstone rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Topsella20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is fieldstone rocks ok for chilid tank?wont change Ph level or anything?

Fieldstone rock is a bit of a misnomer. All fieldstone means is that it is rock that has been picked up out of a field. So, limestone for example would be a type of fieldstone in Indianna. You need a better I.D. one the actual type of rock in order to know if it will affect the tank or not. You can also do a vinegar test, which will give you some idea of how the rock might affect chemistry.

I put white vinigar on te rock w no reaction...what am i supposed to be lookin for ?bubling ?if so that means that its no good correct?

So all i should be concerne about it ph level increase ad the vinegor will bubble if it will increase it correct?

The vinegar test will only tell you if the rock will or won't raise ph levels. If it bubbles it does if not then it won't do a thing to it. I have heard storys on other sites of flagstone breaking down and killing fish or being tested and coming up not safe. I'm not sure how to test rock other than what you have done.

If you do use it and start having problem like cloudy water, fish getting illnesses or dieing like flys I'd take them out pretty fast followed by a really big water change.

Last edited:
Agreed. I don't know of any effective testing method for rock, other than the vingar test which only tells us if it will affect pH to some degree. In reality, all that really tells us is that the rock is basic in nature and reacts when exposed to a weak acid, so in water it will slowly break down and increase the alkalinity of the water.

Trial and error seems to be far more the order of the day when you are trying different types of rock that cannot be positively I.Ded.

Back
Top Bottom